Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: What does Edema or Oedema mean?  (Read 12058 times)

Offline LaughingBuddha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What does Edema or Oedema mean?
« on: April 19, 2006, 04:56:44 AM »
Know this is not an abbreviation but would anyone be able to tell me what is an edema or oedema?

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: What does Edema or Oedema mean?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 05:23:17 AM »
Hi,

Imagine if your ankles persistently ached due to painful swelling that greatly restricted your movements. Now imagine having to contend with swollen fingers and eyelids too. This type of debilitating swelling is experienced by sufferers of oedema - a condition that causes too much fluid (mainly water) to accumulate in your body. Any tissue or organ can be affected, particularly the hands, feet and around the eyes. It's your kidneys' job to eliminate excess fluids from your body in your urine. If they fail to do this properly then fluid can soon build up in your tissues and result in swelling.

Risk factors include prolonged periods spent sitting or standing (the pressure of fluid in the legs from doing either pushes it into the surrounding tissues), high blood pressure (abnormal pressure in the blood capillaries can result in the abnormal exchange of fluids to and from the tissues), heart failure (when the heart can't pump blood round fast enough to clear fluid from the tissues), or kidney problems (which can cause large amounts of protein to be lost in the urine and cause fluid to accumulate in the tissues).

You can check whether you have oedema using a simple test. Press with your thumb on the lower part of your shin for 2 to 3 seconds. Then stop pressing and gently feel with your fingers over that area. If you notice a small hole like a dent where your thumb was pressing then this is a sign of oedema and a sluggish circulation. If you think you might have the condition then see your doctor for further tests.

If you're diagnosed with oedema your doctor may prescribe one of the following diuretic drugs that stimulate your kidneys to increase urinary water output: bendrofluazide, frusemide, indapamide or bumetanide. However they can cause a range of unpleasant side effects including low blood pressure, dizziness, tinnitus, impotence, stomach upset and nausea. Fortunately there are several natural diuretics that are just as effective as prescription-only drugs in some cases but without the side effects.

Natural remedies that help your body eliminate excess fluid and reduce swelling
The following remedies can bring effective relief from oedema symptoms. As with all natural remedies it may be the case that you have to try a few different treatments before you find one that works for you. It's important that you consult your doctor before deciding to take any of the supplements listed, especially if you're already taking medication, in order to prevent any possible contraindications.

Dandelion (Taraxacum) extracts are renowned for their excellent diuretic action, which have been extensively studied. In fact, some of these studies date back as far as 30 years or more and traditional healers have been prescribing dandelion extract for thousands of years. Dandelion root has also been used to help treat high blood pressure (a risk factor for oedema) - its water-eliminating ability reduces the water content in the blood, which helps lower blood pressure. This is exactly how other prescription-only water tablets work. For example, the commonly prescribed drug bendrofluazide reduces blood pressure by increasing water elimination from the kidneys. However it can cause nausea, vomiting, stomach upset and can worsen diabetes.

Hope this answers your question properly.
Take care,

Laura x
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 10:28:15 PM by laura79316 »
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline Scooby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 07:20:06 PM »
Hi

Not sure that I can give as detailed an answer as Laura but I was told that I had bone odema which I was led to believe was a type of bone bruising which can lead to swelling and pain.

I know that my knee aches all the time, even after having been prescribed an unloader brace to wear.

Does anyone know any remedies for the sort of odema?  Should I be using heat or cold treatment?

Thanks

Scooby
20/12/04   Left knee microfracture
8/6/10      Right knee microfracture, plica removal and high tibial osteotomy with external fixator

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »
Hi Scooby,

How was your bone bruise / bone oedema caused? Was it diagnosed using MRI scans? Are you aware that certain normal signals on an MRI can mimic the apprearance of bone oedema? Did your radiologist and OS look at the scan? Does your knee swell up when heat is used? Is pain caused more often when ice is used? Does your unloader brace fit you properly?

I can better answer your query if you can answer some of these questions.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT

Offline Scooby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »
Hi Laura

I presume my bone oedema as caused by the fact that I have rotated tibias and varus deformity  (4 degrees) in my right knee.  It showed up on my MRI which my OS diagnosed.  My OS advised wearing an unloader brace which worked for the first 2 weeks but now the constant ache is back, which I am presuming is caused by the oedema.  My OS did say that it would only be able to treat the bow leggedness and not necessarily the rotation so maybe that is why it still hurts. My first brace was too big and kept slipping so it was changed for a smaller one so I presume it fits ok.

I haven't yet tried heat treatment - I tried cold the other day and that didn't seem to help.  Heat treatment certainly works on my other knee which has never fully recovered from a microfracture over a year ago.

Not really sure what to do next.  My OS said it would take up to 3 months for the oedema to go, therefore I should wear the brace most of the time for 3 months.  I am now a month in and no change, but I will carry on til the 3 months are up then see what he thinks.  If it doesn't work, he has suggested an osteotomy might be the next step, which sounds a bit horrible!

Anyway, thats enough waffling from me!

Thanks for your help Laura and take care xx
20/12/04   Left knee microfracture
8/6/10      Right knee microfracture, plica removal and high tibial osteotomy with external fixator

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 09:14:37 PM »
Hey Scooby,

You say that your previous brace slipped so it was changed for a smaller fit. Have you considered having one custom made? This can be expensive but there are ways around such a cost which your OS may be able to tell you about. It depends on which Trust you're under.

Maybe the ache has returned as a result of your brace not fitting properly or maybe because you're not fully recovered from your microfracture procedure, or as you say, could be caused by oedema.

It could be that your OS said to wait 3 months as before that time no noticeable improvement would be noticed. I think at this stage you should do as he says. Bear in mind that he is the expert and that's why you've gone to him in the first place. I think you should write down all your questions you want answered and take them with you to your next appointment.

If he thinks an osteotomy is the next step but you're not happy with it then you could try a second opinion. The osteotomy isn't the most pleasant surgery in the world, but it is usually very successful. We here are in the minority when we've had procedures that have turned out to be unsuccessful.

Please stay positive. Keep your chin up and work hard at getting your knee sorted.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 03:56:46 AM »
My leg is five degrees off and I use crutches when I know I am not going to be in my comfort zone.

When I had my first MRI back in December it stated muscle edema .. Which I believe simply means water building up. being the girlie girl that I am..  there is a pill called aqua ban here in the usa.. may help. .. 

I also understand the high end unloader braces can be refit for a period of time.  HTO surgery is a pretty major surgery to undertake. But in the meantime all of us have to remember to be kind to ourselfs. our souls and not put ourselfs into situations where we are over doing it..  Pretty easy to say .. Pretty hard to accept when you are in a fist ful of pain.

The crutches are not that bad .. they build up your upper body.. and if you are going to do the HTO and need the support now.. It might be a wise investment to crutch around some.. Vanity tells us we shouldnt .. but reality is.. once you accept the things that help you move and get out ..into the world .. isnt as bad as sitting on the sofa .. afraid to put yourself in pain with out the use of a cane or crutch. 

support