Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Brace for chondromalacia of the patella?  (Read 1917 times)

Offline jmcreynolds

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Brace for chondromalacia of the patella?
« on: December 03, 2005, 02:58:12 PM »
Is there a brace for chondromalacia of the patella?
Scope 10/04 and debridement of chondral defect,  OATs on 1/05

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Brace for chondromalacia of the patella?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 11:14:50 PM »
JM,

Hi, depends what you are looking for..... I've just sent for a cho-pat dual action strap and it is indicated for chondromalacia patellae.....
Indications:
The Dual Action Knee Strap is indicated for symptomatic relief of patellalgia, Jumper's Knee, Osgood-Schlatter's disease, Runner's Knee (chondromalacia patella) and Infrapatellar Tendonitis.
• The strap applies pressure upon the patellar tendon below the kneecap to stabilize and tighten up the kneecap mechanism.
• Improves patellar tracking and elevation and reduces patellar subluxation.
• Adds further strengthening to the kneecap mechanism by applying pressure on the tendon above the kneecap.
• Reduce the forces of the quadriceps on the patella tendon & erosion of the undersurface of the kneecap due to a possible misalignment of the quadriceps (Q angle). 

Now, I have tried different braces and found them too restrictive and applying too much pressure on the patella - so what I looked for was something that would be flexible, not bulky so I could keep trying to do activities.... Hope you find something that will work for you...... 

Here is a list of chondromalacia braces..... Linds said the Genutrain Knee Brace created alot of pressure on her patella, so I'm not sure about that product.....

http://www.kneesupport.com/chondromalacia/              ~Shade

« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 11:19:34 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 03:41:40 PM »
I just began using a GenuTrain this week (my OS prescribed it), and I find it a bit uncomfortable...I've always found both taping and most knee braces to be tight and rather constricting, and I have very small legs, so I know it's not that my leg is too large for the brace...I feel quite a bit of rubbing/pressure on my patellar tendon, too, and I just have a general tight, full feeling after wearing it for very long.

Do others feel this way?? I want something that supports the knee and alleviates the pain, not cause further aggravation!

Tibigal platea fx. 12/98
Subsequent poor medical care that did not detect fx. immediately
Rigorous PT once fx. was diagnosed
Arthroscopy in 11/99 to trim plica and remove scar tissue
Chronic pain for 5 years, then a reprieve for 3
Return of pain/stiffness 2/07, in pain mgt., awaiting answers

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:00:02 PM »
i have the Cho-Pat dual action brace...and i dont particularly like it. you have to have it set perfectly on your knee or it will make your knee hurt more. i find it kinda itchy because of the velcro on the inside, but i guess that you can get over that. i only use mine for swimming. let me tell you though, in the pic, it looks nice and small and like you can wear under your jeans. its not like that at all. it has tubes of plastic so it can keep its shape. you may like it, but it kinda sux for me!!

i hope that u do like it!!!

jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic