Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Orthovisc Success  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
Orthovisc Success
« on: November 01, 2005, 01:17:56 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to follow up on previous postings.  I decided to complete the series of Orthovisc injections, despite the severe side effects.  Primarily, because since the first shot, I have had minimal knee pain.  I can't remember the last time I was HAPPY!  It makes me realize just how tainted my world had become.  I wasn't even walking out to get the mail because of the pain.

I am overdoing it, by standing on my feet too long, but not doing anything crazy.  I don't know how long this will last, and am definitely living in the moment.

I encourage ya'll to at least try the injections.  A contrast dye MRI shows that I'm bone on bone, and I am trying to delay a PKR.

Best of luck to all.

Alyce
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Orthovisc Success
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 01:42:40 PM »
Alyce,

It is so good to hear that you are feeling much better after these injections. 

Hopefully, they will give you pain relief for a considerable amount of time.  Wow, that would be wonderful.

Enjoy your pain-free days,

Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 06:51:02 PM »
Alyce,

Hi, just wanted to let you know that my OS injected me with the NeoVisc injection and it has been a wonderful experience so far.  Fifteen minutes after the injection I could walk without limping and pain-free.  It is just like a miracle - I slept with pain for 6 hrs and even managed to go for a one-mile brisk walk. 
It hasn't been quite 24 hours yet & it is truely wonderful.  We are using these injections to help break through the pain cycle that has been blocking my knee rehab.

Glad that you managed to complete your set of injections and have been having relief.

Shade

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 12:15:41 AM »

Shade,

I am so happy that the Neo-visc has given you some pain reliief!  It's amazing how much pain we endure without realizing how we compromise.

It has been a little over 5 weeks now, and I am still enjoying mostly 80% pain free days.  I have been almost manic in my quest to accomplish everything that has been on my to do list for 3 years.  I feel like Cinderella.

I will say that I am absolutely living in the moment, and am thankful at least every 10 minutes.  I urge ya'll to at least try the injections.  Because I am one of these people for whom NOTHING works.

Have a good holiday, and gobble 'til you wobble!  Sorry for the Brits that don't celebrate, I forgot.

Warmly,
Alyce
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline Jack_Mark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 08:23:59 PM »
Elsewhere in this thread there is a request for interviews with people who have had viscosupplementation.

I did have Synvisc injected into my knee some years ago.

After the first injection it did appear as if my knee felt somewhat stronger.
I cannot remember now but I think I had a total of about three injections, may be more,  but I can find out if that is important.

However, thereafter there was no noticible improvement whatsoever and, in fact,  I felt that I had been hoaxed and ripped off and that the only person who got some benefit out of it all was the sports doctor who did the procedure and the manufacturer.

They do charge an arm and a leg but that's neither here and there IF one gets some benefit out of it all.

I cannot say that I wasn't warned as my general practitioner did actually say to me beforehand that he was very wary about this procedure because 'they haven't released any statistics and that tells a story in itself'.

I guess that if one is desperate one will try anything no matter what anyone else says.

I am surprised to read a post that someone actially did have some benefit. 

It would be interesting to read some more stories about other people's experiences.  so, please DO post and share.

Regards,

Jack Mark

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 11:55:26 AM »
Jack,

Sorry to say that the knee injections that I tried did not seem to last longer than 5 days for the first one and the second and third injections offered minimal relief if any.....
It is so disheartening when you are looking for any form of pain relief and some people really get some long-lasting effects and other people just do not achieve good results at all.....

Still believe that it is worth a try for people to get knee injections as you could be one of the ones that really have long-lasting relief so it is worth a try.  The neovisc injections that I had are a natural product and much different from the synvisc and orthovise products.  The injections that I tried are much more reasonably priced that the other injections also......  ~Shade

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 03:06:41 AM »
I start the orthovisc injections in June.   

Three orthovisc injections  and on the third injection I am going to be the lucky girl and get a cortizone shot too. 

Staring summer with a Bang.. Not a whimper.

knee deep in Goo

Anyone able to go to work the same day as injection ?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 11:07:48 PM »

Just wondering if I should work from home the day of the injection ?

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 09:59:29 PM »
Dear Knee Deep,

If they give you lidocaine, then by all means work.  You feel no pain, and it's wonderful!  You're not supposed to do anything "physical" for 48 hours.  But on the day of the injection, I made the most of it, and got things done around the house.  I think I put in a flower bed.

My involved leg is my right one, and I was able to drive without incident

Best Wishes,

Alyce
LPFL rebuild May 2009

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 02:55:36 PM »
That is great to know.. . Infact.. I have lidocaine patches.. that my doctor has prescribed for me . I picked up the 3 injections from my pharmacy and . I am oddly excited... that I can be 6 months pain free.. I also had a custom unloader brace made. (generation II)  Which is another back up plan..   I am just 36..  and feel so old..   .. I should be thinking about clothes and get some new skirts for summer.. but its far too painful to shop.. and When I do its with crutches.. I just realized that half of the year is over.. and  It seems to me that at least 8 months.. of pain. .. its time to start living..

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 02:53:58 AM »
Dear Knee Deep,

I will be thinking about you on June 2nd, and hoping for the best.  Even at 47 years old, as active as I am, I feel that that is too young for a PKR. 

It might be my imagination, but I think I am feeling less pain.  I am still able to walk 2 miles, and do most daily activities.  I've also been living on 2 extra strength Bufferin with my morning cofee.  Not a great idea for someone who has had ulcers from just such a regimen.  A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Fingers Crossed,
Alyce
LPFL rebuild May 2009

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 05:42:22 PM »
i'd settle for getting to and from work.. with out being exhausted.. I'd settle for being able to .. get up from my desk in the afternoon and not be in horrible pain just to go to the bathroom or get coffee.. even with a cane its so hard.. ..  I even like to get out .. at lunch to do some shopping.. .. or even afterwork feel I could shop a bit. ..  maybe shop at the grocery store alone..