Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 396815 times)

Offline jwpartee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #1155 on: July 11, 2017, 02:00:03 AM »
You have been through a lot.  I am just on this journey and already exhausted.  I will post my story and continue to post it other places.  I know I need some encouragement for this evidently long battle.  Any words you can give me I would appreciate.

Offline Fraz27

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1156 on: July 11, 2017, 06:27:26 AM »
When you read more into peroneal nerve injury it looks pretty grim there is lots of info online a lot not very positive , overall best thing for me was really staying positive believing that nerve would reconnect , i always felt better during and after exercise and would encourage anyone to do as much as they could , my orthotist thought my early use of an ems machine really helped.
July 17 16 months since injury , now fully fit for work only issue i have is i cant lift my big toe i can lift all other toes and forsiflex foot , only notice any difference when barefoot as any footwear provides enough support im not wearing any supports or afo !

Fraz

Offline Tehvipir

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1157 on: July 26, 2017, 09:04:28 PM »
Hello. Well long story short. On June 24 of this year I had a tibulofibular dislocation, so basically my lower leg popped out.  I tore my acl, and had an lcl and hamstring bicep femoris avulsed from my fibula head.  And thay of course gave me foot drop to the letter.  Well July 6th my ortho fixed my knee injuries and looked at my peroneal nerve and found some of it still attached but it was fanned out and had a big hematoma. My Dr is the university of Oklahoma football's team knee and should doc along with the US snowboarding team so he does great work and worked on heisman winner before they won the heisman.  Anyways. When It came to my nerve he was at a loss.  He did some looking and asking around and found a hand surgeon who would wanted to see me.  Well we went to her yesterday and she suggested a nerve graft of 1 possibly 2 of my seroeal nerves from my calves and graft the peroneal nerve depending on the length ECT.  She also recommended a tendon transfer as the nerve will take about 2 years to recover.  The issue I have is in a firefighter and this was day off. So to wait 2 years might not he an option.  And from the publications I have read the type of stretch Injury i have had a poor prognosis alone.  I also now have been reading about tendon transfer and from the recent studies and publications it shows the ability of people to return to even sports with excellent results in college age kids.  Even older people have had great results with 12 out of 12 would do it again and all of them can do daily activities with no brace.  The movement of the foot is enough to drive with some people being on tip toes and jumping.  I'm not looking at getting g back to sports as I'm 34 and have 2 younger kids so just playing with them and getting back to being a firefighter.  My job title is a driver so I drive unless me officer is off then I am in charge if the engine.  From the results I see I don't see any issues with me getting back to work but I haven't spoke to anyone with the tendon transfer nor know any pt as of now who habe seen it so not sure what to expect or if it's plausible.    Any help or suggestions. Btw I'm relatively healthy slightly overweight but I have tons of power in my legs and calves. Blood work I am good with no of 116/75 usually. Don't smoke and drink like 3 times a year.  I have no other medical conditions.   So anyone have this done and have any idea what to expect?  She said that recovery is 3 months for tendon transfer so that would mean all my surfeis and recovery are done about the same time. Within 6 months  thanks.

Offline kim228

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1158 on: September 01, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »
When you read more into peroneal nerve injury it looks pretty grim there is lots of info online a lot not very positive , overall best thing for me was really staying positive believing that nerve would reconnect , i always felt better during and after exercise and would encourage anyone to do as much as they could , my orthotist thought my early use of an ems machine really helped.
July 17 16 months since injury , now fully fit for work only issue i have is i cant lift my big toe i can lift all other toes and forsiflex foot , only notice any difference when barefoot as any footwear provides enough support im not wearing any supports or afo !

Fraz

Hi Fraz,

Congratulations on your progress!! Did you regain all dorsiflexion in your foot now? How much can you dorsiflex now?

Offline Fraz27

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1159 on: September 10, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »
Hi yes the dorsiflexion has returned to pretty much as it should be , still the big toe lags behind others but a little more movement since last post.
Never had much improvement in the sensation but don't really notice it much now my NHS physio has been great , I go every 3 weeks , golfing and playing tennis without issue , I'm not going to go near a football !

Offline kim228

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1160 on: September 13, 2017, 06:33:27 PM »
Hi yes the dorsiflexion has returned to pretty much as it should be , still the big toe lags behind others but a little more movement since last post.
Never had much improvement in the sensation but don't really notice it much now my NHS physio has been great , I go every 3 weeks , golfing and playing tennis without issue , I'm not going to go near a football !

So happy for you Fraz! Glad that your dorsiflexion has returned to normal. Yeah I would take functional return of the foot than the sensation. I can take a little bit of numbness as long as I can move my ankle.

Now I can dorsiflex to about the level but I don't have much strength to pull my foot up yet.. it's been about 5 months since the nerve has connected. Hopefully in a next couple of months I have more movement. 

Did you do any special exercises to improve the dorsiflexion?  I live in a small town and my PT is not very experienced with foot drop.. so I follow and incorporate some of the exercises from this forum. Would love to learn your exercises too..

Thanks,
Kim

Offline Fraz27

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1161 on: September 13, 2017, 08:10:06 PM »
Hi Kim I used a green elastic band supplied by physio to pull up the foot and push against it back down when the nerve reconnected I hooked band over end of bed and pulled against it to to strengthen it , also found that cycling was really good I had the cages round the pedals.
Also the ems machine seemed to help and I was taking vitamin b12 daily ( read about it on here )
Always felt better after exercise
Good luck !😊

Offline kim228

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1162 on: September 13, 2017, 11:10:20 PM »
Thank you for describing the exercises Fraz! Glad to hear you were using ems machine too,  I'm going to incorporate the elastic band exercise (the one hook over end of bed and pull against it) into daily my routine.. Thanks again, Fraz. 

Advertisement

support