Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Meniscal tear repair-post op fluid leaking?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Lee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Meniscal tear repair-post op fluid leaking?
« on: July 17, 2002, 11:51:23 AM »

Hi all!

I posted this on the other board and then realized that there is a "new" board!  So please excuse this new girl for posting in both places if you happen to read this twice...

I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a meniscal tear (also cleaned up some arthritic damage while he was there and did a lateral release) two weeks ago and am having a problem. Ever since the surgery, one of the three little incision sites has been leaking fluid that is yellow (med to dark), but clear. My knee seems to stay sealed during the day, but eventually it starts "crying" fluid and I have this drip oozing down my leg for the rest of the night. Dr. put me on antibiotics and told me to leave the incision uncovered so it can stay dry - I can't decide whether I need to go back in and make a bigger deal about this or not. I saw him on Monday, but as it was in the morning, the silly knee was not leaking one bit (and of course he gave me the "it seems to be fine now" line). Anybody had any experience with this?

Thanks,
Lee

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 29
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Meniscal tear repair-post op fluid leaking?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 12:21:09 PM »
The OS needs to be kept informed. The antibiotics are important.

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 11:26:19 PM »
Lee,

I've had this after all of my arthroscopies.  Something about my immune system is just really slow, and the incisions don't seem to heal.  You are right to be on antibiotics and keep your doctor informed.

As for my treatment, I was instructed to place sterile gauze pads on the area and wrap an ace bandage firmly around the leg.  I was also instructed to keep the leg straight, and when the incision continued to drain I was placed on complete bed rest.  I was not allowed to do any PT or weight-bearing activities.

The first time my incision closed up after two days.  The second time it was open for 3 weeks and I had surgery for infection...this last time it was also open for over three weeks, I got an infection, and was switched to a different antibiotic.  Then the incision closed right up.

You should keep an eye on the fluid coming out--as long as it's clear, you should be okay, but if it gets cloudy or bloody you need to contact the surgeon ASAP.  Let me know if you have any other questions...I've had a good deal of experience with this....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Lee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 11:23:02 PM »
Thanks so much to the KneeGuru and Heather for the advice!  This board is a great place--it was so comforting to find out that somebody else had had this happen, too.

I went back in to see my surgeon yesterday.  He said that I'm right in thinking that it is not infected (not hot, nor do I have a temp).  He almost exactly echoed your words, Heather, and said that some people just heal slower and it is taking more time for this wound to knit back together--the problem is that it is exactly where my knee bends, so the incision pops back open.

I am now wearing a knee immobilizer, which keeps my whole leg totally straight.  I think it will also serve to keep my whole body immobilized as walking with it has given me aches and pains in my back and everywhere else!!  Also, continuing to take my antibiotics.  He will re-check me on Monday.

I guess age does play a factor in this type of surgery.  I had both knees operated on at 18, and then again at 32--all were lateral release and general clean-up of arthritic damage.  The first set was easy--I was out dancing a week after surgery at 18.  The second set of surgeries took longer to for the pain and swelling to reduce--I also had them about 5 weeks apart, which was stupid (I learned the meaning of "no leg to stand on" :) during that rehab process! ).

Now, at 39, I can't even get the silly wound to close up!

Thanks again for your kind words and advice -- GREAT MESSAGE BOARD!!

Lee

Offline martingf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • clicky knee waiting for a lateral meniscal tear op
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 09:45:57 PM »
 :)
hi.
i am having a bucket handle lateral miniscus scope some time in the next few weeks..
sorry to hear your story of your knee lee.. i have never had any surgery b4 and am getting a bit stressed.. i wasn't worried b4 i found this site... but now i know more i am thinking twice about it... anyone have any comments on my OS.. a Mr. Bollen.. Yorkshire, UK?
martin
sometimes in pain waiting for my op..