Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Warmth and redness in knee 7 weeks post-op  (Read 1517 times)

Offline teresa1127

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Warmth and redness in knee 7 weeks post-op
« on: September 07, 2005, 08:01:52 PM »
Hi everyone - My husband had a medial (sp?) meniscus tear that required surgery done on June 29th.  For about the last three weeks he has had warmth and redness at varying times in the day.  This started after he used the stationary bike with a little more resistance than usually used during PT.  Initially there was some tenderness to the touch, but that has improved.  Blood tests have ruled out infection.  Prior to the bike incident he was getting slowly better.  He doesn't have much pain, primarily feels discomfort when sitting.  Feels he needs to put his leg up. 

The OS is not concerned, but my husband fears he may have suffered another tear.  Has anyone else experienced warmth and redness without infection?  If so, how long did it take to go away?  Did you heal completely and get back to normal activity?

THANKS<
Teresa, nyc

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Warmth and redness in knee 7 weeks post-op
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 09:11:35 PM »
Hey Teresa !!

Are there any swelling ? Maybe he did overdo a bite and needs take it easier next time. Can be a ongoing inflammation.
Does he take antiinflammatories and ice down the knee after phys ? Are he iceing down now and then ?
I don't think this can cause a new tear, you need more violence to the knee to get that.
Ask the doc about antiinflammatory meds if he hasn't that.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline teresa1127

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 09:18:11 PM »
Hi Nettan - Thanks for the reply.  He does ice several times a day.  He was taking Aleve 3x a day until his stomach started bothering him yesterday. 

Sounds like you've had a rough time.

Best wishes,
Teresa

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »
Then it sounds that he needs to slow down a bite. More repetations and less weight are better for the knees.
If he is able doing watertherapy in a hot pool or ordinary pool, it's really good for the knees when you built up the muscles again. You can simply do most of excercises in water (not talking about swimming) and by the water resistance build up the muscles gently. If he doesn't have a programme, maybe a phys can help. Just a thought.

NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline mom with bum knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 10:41:40 PM »
I had surgery last Thursday and was doing really well until I started PT. I felt like I was pushed too far on the bike. My knee is radiating heat. I've never felt anything like it. Even with the ice and pain med (Norco), it is still very warm and swollen.
Meniscus repair, left knee 2001
Meniscotomy, right knee 2003
Meniscus repair, left knee 2005

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 12:24:26 AM »
Some warmth is normal after surgery. You are not far post op. After a surgery, you have more blood flowing into the injured knee trying to heal it and that can cause warmth. Overdoing it can also cause more warmth and the swelling. Have you been icing and elevating alot? Are you taking anti inflammatories? If you are worried, call your OS, that is what they make the big bucks for.
good luck and keep us posted.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia