Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: MRI results  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Beach Boy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI results
« on: September 06, 2005, 11:08:08 PM »
In Dec. 2004 I had ACL recon. using hamstring graft and meniscis repair resulting from playing football.  Rehab went great, I am running very well and had no problems.  A week ago I was throwing the football with the neighbors kid and jumped straight up to get a ball thrown about 2-3 feet over my head.  When I landed I felt two distinct tears and as I took a step the knee immediately buckled just like it did the 1st time.  Saw my OS, had an MRI done.  OS reviewed MRI and put me in a brace and said come back in a few weeks.  Before I continue with the post I will ask the Moderators if I can post the MRI results certainly without revealing the doctor or location.  I would like some interpretations and suggestions about the results.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 02:50:39 AM by Beach Boy »
Dec 2004 ACL recon w/ hamstring, partial med menisectomy (R)
Aug 2005 ACL graft failure & lateral meniscus tear (R)
Sep 2005 Complete med & partial lat menisectomy & bone graft (R)
Mar 2006 Medial meniscus transplant/ACL revision w/achilles (R)
Sep 2011 Medial menisectomy (L)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: Can I post MRI results?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:00:39 AM »
I am not a moderator or anything but I think its ok that you do, I know alot of other people have trying to disifer what the darn thing says,....goodluck to ya
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Beach Boy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: MRI results
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 02:53:52 AM »
If anybody has an opinion, please share.  I was told that the MRI results could show an ACL retear when is really masked by scar tissue from the original reconstruction.  The damage to the meniscus is obvious, but to what degree?

Here's the Evaluation:

"Evaluation of the reconstructed anterior cruciate ligament as described above.  The patella displays a slight degree of lateral static subluxation.  The patellar and quadriceps as well as the patellar retinacula are within normal limits.  Some decreased T2 and STIR signal is seen along the posterior aspect of Hoffa’s fat pad in a linear fashion likely related to some mild arthrofibrosis.  No other abnormalities of Hoffa’s fat pad are seen.

Evaluation of the menisci reveals blunting and truncation in the posterior body, posterior junction zone, and posterior horn of the medial meniscus.  Diffuse increased signal is also seen through the free edge of the meniscus in these locations.  These findings are likely the sequela of fraying and tearing of the meniscus.  Postoperative changes are possible as well if prior medial meniscal repair was performed.  Clinical correlation is advised.  These areas are seen to mildly enhance with contrast.  The body the medial meniscus is diminutive with some horizontal grade III signal seen extending through it likely the sequela of horizontal tearing in this location as well.

Evaluation of the lateral meniscus reveals prominent globular signal in the posterior horn/posterior junction zone of the lateral meniscus without distinct extension to an articular surface on the sagittal imaging with questionable extension to the inferior articular surface on coronal imaging.  This likely represents the sequela of severe degeneration and/or contusion.  Superimposed meniscal fraying cannot excluded.

Impression:

1.   Complete disruption of the reconstructed anterior cruciate ligament.  There is associated mild anterior drawing of the tibia present.
2.   Reactive edema around, versus grade I sprain of, the medial collateral ligament.
3.   Blunting and truncation of the free edge of the posterior horn, posterior junction zone, and posterior body of the medial meniscus with increased signal through the free edge in these locations as well, findings likely the sequela free edge tearing and fraying.  Correlation with the prior surgery that was performed in December 2004 is recommended to ensure that medial repair did not take place as these findings could also be related to granulation tissue from the meniscal repair.  There is also horizontal grade III signal in the body the medial meniscus not of fluid intensity suspicious for a horizontal tear in this location as well.
4.   Severe myxomatous degeneration of, versus contusion of, the posterior junction zone and posterior horn of the lateral meniscus.  Superimposed fraying cannot be excluded with no distinct meniscal tear identified.
5.   Large joint effusion with non-thickened medial plica.
6.   Baker’s cyst.
7.   Mild linear arthrofibrosis along the posterior aspect of Hoffa’s fat pad.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 03:38:11 AM »
I can try to help with some of this stuff

1.It looks like you re tore your ACL
2. Swelling and possible grade I sprain of the MCL
3.You may have torn your meniscus but it could also just be picking up strange signals from an already fixed meniscus injury. THey are not sure if they are seeing a new tear or if it is just where you had surgery on it before.
4.Degeneration of the posterior meniscus, no tear but lots of wear and tear
5.You have a lot of swelling and a medial plica but the plica is not inflamed and thickened
6.well, it is a cyst
7. Mild scar tissue along the back of your fat pad. The fat pad is located at the bottom of the patella. Kind of like in a smile shape running under the bottom of the knee cap.

sorry that I can be more precise.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Beach Boy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 02:55:19 PM »
Thanks Missy.

Has anyone retore their ACL this soon after reconstruction and had positive results?  It is my understanding that donor bone plugs are to be placed where the screws were and that is a seperate surgery upon itself, and when that heals, you can perform another grafting which has less chance of being successful as the first.

I'm having a second opinion with another OS and maybe another MRI next week.  I'm very active so this makes a tough decision to not have an ACL revision.

shadehawk

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 03:15:07 PM »
Hi,

Sorry about your injuries.  Here is an article that might help you some.

http://www.aclsolutions.com/surgery_5.php

Good luck with your next appointment,

Shade

support