Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can't kneel, will this get better on it's own?  (Read 4028 times)

Offline racquijack

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can't kneel, will this get better on it's own?
« on: September 03, 2005, 08:14:25 PM »
I was playing "serious" soccer with my boys about a month ago when I hurt my knee. I can't remember being in that kind of pain outside labour EVER. I heard a gristly crunch when I did it. Anyway, now I can't kneel without a sharp pain and I can't get up if I do get into any kind of a squatting position. Sometimes it feels fine to walk on and other times it hurts to do anything with it. My husband thinks it will just get better, but I am beginning to think it is more serious. He doesn't think I need to see a doctor. Does anyone know if this is just a boo-boo, or if it sounds more serious?

Offline eco49rvra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Can't kneel, will this get better on it's own?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 02:08:05 AM »
I'm not a doc, but it sounds a lot like a torn meniscus or other cartilage damage. RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) may give you some temporary relief, but if it's been a month and it hasn't gotten any better, and it's interfering with your everyday activities, you'll probably want to get it checked out by an orthopedic doctor. An MRI would pretty much tell for sure what's going on in there.

Sometimes damaged menisci (and again, I'm just guessing that that's what it MIGHT be) can heal on their own, but only if they're in an area near a blood supply, and the tear is minor enough. Letting it go untreated could lead to more problems in the long run. I say kick your hubby in the kneecap, see how he likes it, then go see a doc. Just kidding about the kicking... but not the doc. :P

kristen
2/2005- injured knee in police academy
4/2005- lateral & medial meniscus cleanup... SURPRISE! ACL is completely torn, too!
5/20/2005- ACL reconstruction (patellar autograft)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 08:54:06 AM »
Agreed, after a month you should be seeing someone... just to make sure.  An orthopedic surgeon would be the best choice.  It could definatley be a meniscus tear or something else....  i'm not a doc either. ;) Just a fellow kneegeek.

Goodluck, and yes do use RICE to keep you comfy til you can see someone.

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 02:11:57 PM »
I liked that advise Kristen!!  Kick him in the knee caps... hee hee..

I had a similar issue with my hubby, I dont think that he realised that my knee was so bad because I seemed to still functioned ok after my injury to outsiders and the local Drs were saying that it was ok.... for me though I knew it wasnt right becasue it kept buckling and I couldnt run on it.  I complianed about it enough, and limped so much in the end that he gave in and one day said if it is really that bad go and get it chacked out.  Imagine his suprise when we discovered I was up for a knee reconstruction (I think I deep down knew that is what I needed).  My only regret is not pushing the point sooner because I lost lots of muscle from not being able to use my knee properly over a 5 month period.  So if you dont think it is right after a month.... I'd be seeking further advise.

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 03:01:22 PM »
Definitely get it checked out.....i have a similar situation where it also hurts like hell to kneel and bend all the way (can't do yoga). It also hurts to go up stairs (feels very unstable with a lot of cracking). I just got an MRI done....waiting for results. Good luck!

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 08:56:27 PM »
I have a ruptured ACL & torn cartilage - kneeling & squatting doesn't happen any longer! An OS is the way to go....Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline ellies

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 09:00:51 PM »
Sounds like a classic torn cartilage.  Go & see a doctor, SOON !!! 
Good luck.  :)
Ellen
1998 scope R knee
2002 scope R knee, bone graft R knee
2003 scope R knee
2003 scope L knee
2004 scope L knee
2004 ACI L knee
2004 2 x scopes L knee
2005 TKR L knee

support