Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: HELP! need sleep suggestions post TTT  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: HELP! need sleep suggestions post TTT
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 04:50:10 AM »
tylenol pm is the same thing as benadryl :)  glad someone else has learned this trick as well!

tylenol pm=benadryl=diphenhydramine
7-08- Weightlifting, L Knee Injury
7-15- Diagnosed with MCL Sprain & Cartilage Pinch; immobilized for 1 mo.
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.
10-14- First steps on my own in over 3 months.
Currently- dealing with OA and hoping that I'm healing!

Offline alacy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 01:23:49 AM »
I am going to buy Tylenol PM ASAP! I am still waking up 2 times a night. I am using pillows when I sleep on my side and that seems to help.

The pain varies day by day. I have been using Motrin most of the time and the Darvocet when it's bad. But depending on the pain sometimes that won't help. WILL THIS EVER STOP HURTING????? My OS did warn me that some patients have cronic pain after this surgery if there is to much damange to the under side of the patella.  I'm hoping that is not the case for me.

Thanks for all the advise,

Anna

6/29/05 TTT,LR,medial realignment - Right Knee
1989     LR - Right Knee

cholt

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 05:45:50 AM »
Anna,

I sure do understand the pain being so bad that nothing helps.  I didn't sleep for about 3 weeks after my surgery.  I would get maybe 2 hrs a night.  It was horrible.  I tried every pain med there was.  I had a lot of cramping in my calf.  Like the kind of cramps you have when you are little.  Always worse at night.  Always kept me up, I would just rock and cry.  A heating pad did help more than anything else.  Also my husband would massage it and it would get some relief. 

Believe it or not, you will get better.  I didn't think I ever would!  Ask your GP or OS if you can take Tylenol PM and add one of your pain pills also.  I did, and it helped more.  Also, remember the heat.  It did help.
Good Luck!

Cindy

Offline annaliese

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 10:20:36 AM »
Hey Anna,

Glad to hear you're getting some sleep at last and that you got some meds from your GP.  Remember, if you need the meds, take them.  Living in constant pain is extremely unpleasant and trying to get into your post-op rehab in constant pain won't help you recover either.  Hang in there - I'm 8 weeks post-op and my only pain now is when i try and straighten my leg.

Cindy - my asthma meds give me leg cramps in my calf, but for some reason only in my left one ( which is the recently operated leg!).  My GP recommended magnesium supplements to stop the cramping, particularly for post-op when a calf cramp would be even more unbearable in a brace.  Thank goodness for magnesium tablets - they do actually work and I haven't had a calf cramp in about 18months.

Take care all and sweet dreams!
AnnaLiese
Patellofemoral reallignment, chondroplasty, LR and TTT (L) knee 07/13/2005. 
Currently post-op, down to single crutch and no more brace!!  Screws are named Sid and Nancy :-)
Meniscal tear repair by arthroscopy/menisectomy (r) knee 08/02/2002
Recurrent subluxations of (L) kneecap since 1989

cholt

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 01:29:18 PM »
Annaliese,

Thanks for the info.  I sure do wish my Dr. had know or suggested trying that.  I am 2 months post-op now and feeling much better.  Just getting sleep makes all the difference in the world.  Wishing Relief for ALL!

Cindy

Offline alacy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 02:19:40 PM »
I tried the Tylenol PM last night and it helped. I also got a different brace yesterday because my patella was sublexing. OUCH! This new one supports both sides of the patella. I have to tell ya it makes a difference. I think the pain is really going to get better without the patella continuing to move around.

I want to thank all of you for your great advise. How's it going with your recovery and PT?

Have a GREAT pain free day!
Anna
1989     LR - Right Knee

Offline annaliese

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2005, 02:47:42 AM »
Hey all,

I'm so glad to hear everyone's getting some sleep! 

Re the cramps - I saw a different doctor last week who said that apparently things like Mylanta (antacids/milk of magnesia - not sure what it's called in the USA) have magnesium and aluminium in them, and may work also.  Personally, I tried mylanta liquid and I've found that they don't have enough magnesium and work out to be more expensive than the magnesium tablets anyway.

My left knee is giving me hell because it is a cold rainy and windy weekend here in Auckand, NZ. Does anyone else notice that they get more pain and joint stiffness when it's going to rain?  My right knee used to ache before it rains, and now it is the left one that screams instead!  The pain is usually around where the drain went into the hole left by the arthroscope...my scar looks great! 

Also - seeing as I am 9 weeks post-op from my LR/TTT/PFR, is anyone else noticing tightness in their LR region?  I still don't have a lot of feeling if I press the skin above the LR region and it feels like a fully stretched rubber band during some exercises!

My PT is still concerned about my moderate quads wasting/atrophy - I can't use the leg extension machine because it hurts my screws too much.  I tried it on Friday at PT and after two extensions at zero weight, Sid and Nancy the screws were making me scream with pain.  The good news is that I'm up to 20kg on the leg press with both legs and 5kg with the left leg - hopefully by next week it will be 10kg with the left leg. 

I can also now do about 4km on the stationary bike at level 6 resistance with little trouble - the LR site feels tight and weird, but I can do it with no pain and that's fantastic!

Take care all, and keep us posted!  Photos coming shortly at http://spaces.msn.com/members/annalieseknee/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 02:58:09 AM by annaliese »
Patellofemoral reallignment, chondroplasty, LR and TTT (L) knee 07/13/2005. 
Currently post-op, down to single crutch and no more brace!!  Screws are named Sid and Nancy :-)
Meniscal tear repair by arthroscopy/menisectomy (r) knee 08/02/2002
Recurrent subluxations of (L) kneecap since 1989

Offline alacy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2005, 01:15:25 AM »
Annaliese,

How's the knee? I understand about the aching, screaming knee when it's damp and raining. I feel the same way. We have had a lot of rain and I am sick of the pain. Today I kneeled for the first time. OUCH! I won't be doing that again. It's been almost three months.....I think I am on the mend. I am walking with almost no limp. Still wearing a brace but, it helps.

Hope you're doing well
Anna
1989     LR - Right Knee

Offline Phouin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Love Forever
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 07:38:52 AM »
I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.
I also had trouble sleeping, and was up every 3 to 4 hrs for the 1st 3 weeks. I would take a pain pill to get thru it, go for a walk to loosen up my stiff leg, would sleep laying down, or with 2 pillows under my upper back or on a recliner, and basically do whatever I could to get some sleep. I dd find that sleeping on my sofa 1/2 the night did help, as it is not as firm and that made my leg more comfortable. Around 3 to 4 weeks out things got better, was able to sleep on non-operated side or stomach for a bit longer. Still got up about every 4 to 5 hrs now. 2 days from now I will be at 5 weeks, and am sleeping at 5 to 6 hrs, and only take a pain pills at bedtime. For me I noticed a lot of progress between week 4 and 5. Can't wait till 6 weeks when I am cleared for full weight bearing and no crutches.I also have a lot of experience with recliners!!! ;) Actually we have both a recliner of Dorel https://thehomedweller.com/best-recliners-for-sleeping/ and a fold out couch in the bus. If not for the grandkids camping out with us I would just get 2 lazyboys and get rid of the couch. I still might. As my wife can attest to, I can sleep in a recliner easier than that fold out couch. Maybe when we get some new recliners for the house I'll move the old ones into the bus. I got em broke in now!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:40:53 AM by Phouin »