Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: DOES ACUPUNCTURE HELP SCAR TISSUE OR PAIN IN THE KNEE??  (Read 2776 times)

Offline mhgraph

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
DOES ACUPUNCTURE HELP SCAR TISSUE OR PAIN IN THE KNEE??
« on: August 16, 2005, 12:55:40 AM »
 ???

HI,

I WAS WONDERING IF ACUPUNCTURE WORKS FOR ANYONE for Scar Tissue or pain in the knee after surgery?  Its been over a year and I still can't run, walk too fast or bend my knee.

Help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Mark

Offline kiki88

• Regular Poster
  • Slow and steady gets the cake
Re: DOES ACUPUNCTURE HELP SCAR TISSUE OR PAIN IN THE KNEE??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 04:11:52 PM »
Hi Mark

I had several acupuncture sessions because i've had persistent swelling/dull throbbing pain (not really pain but my knee doesn't feel comfortable) and it did work for me initially but it hasn't after about 4 sessions.  Also, it is not really a solution, more a means to an end ie. a way in alleviating pain/swelling.  That is, unfortunately, i don't think acupuncture will cure a scar tissue or the reason you are having pain.  My physios and my OS have both told me that acupuncture isn't the solution and after seeing my OS last week, i've been told I have loads of scar tissue (and other problems meaning I am still getting swelling and the dull throbbing pain) and will need a further arthroscopy to sort the issue.

I'm not sure if an arthroscopy would be the step forward for you.  I think the best approach would be to see a GP/OS about your problem.

Good luck with sorting your knee out!

kiki
ACL Recon (hamstring) 4 April 2005
Arthroscope on 14 October 2005.  Revealed cyclops lesion, screw in incorrect position, graft too vertical, ruptured graft.  Hardware removed, bone graft to patch up tunnel and screw holes.  Currently waiting for bone to heal before undergoing 2nd ACL in 2006.

Offline mhgraph

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 10:52:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback KIKI.  That sucks!!  I hate knee surgeries. 

They lied to me, doctors lied to me and told me I would be running 2 wks after the surgery. 

Mark

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 11:45:40 PM »
if you're bitter about doctors, you've come to the right site.

Finding a good one is like a needle in a hay stack.
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline Gingergin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 04:58:31 PM »
Hi Mark,

I have had 2 accupuncture sessions in the past two weeks, and though it was very relaxing I have not seen any knee improvement.  I plan on giving it another 4 tries though.  My pt thought it was worth a try since my pt benefits are exhausted for the year, and he has seen some success with it for some people.  I agree with the others -it will  not cure you, but may provide some comfort.  I am hoping for it to improve my range of motion by lessening the pain I have when (trying to) bend my knee more than 90 degrees.

good luck,
Ginger

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 08:15:50 AM »
Hey Mark,
I tried acupunture when all else seemed to fail, and I have to agree with everyone, felt good the first week, not so much swelling, but back to same ol thing from then on. Kept it up for 4 more weeks, then gave in. I too have been 12 months post op 1st op and 6 months from second and also can't walk too fast without pain ( running definately out of the question).  Was also told I would be back on track within a few weeks and here it is 12 months later and still can't return to work.  Frustrating for us in this boat , but by reading all these stories, we aren't alone.  ::)
Good luck to you
Boydy
Arthroscope to repair meniscus tear, 10/04
Arthroscope for Lateral Release & repair another medial meniscal tear, 2/05
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline mhgraph

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 11:35:20 PM »
 >:(

Hi everyone who responded to my profile about scar tissue and bending the knee etc...Im not healing at all??  And so I am told to see this clinic in Indiana.  Is this my only hope?  Will scar tissue ever heal?  No good doctors in the DC/Md and Va areas? Wow.  Well I guess no hope around here.

I must travel far away to find a good doctor.  I hate surgery.  I was misinformed about the whole operation.  I am a young 36yr old that can never run again because of the surgery!!  Notttt happy right now.  almost 2 yrs ago I had surgery.

The cut my plica band.  What to do?

Mark

Offline Madonna

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 12:23:45 AM »
Hi,
I'm 18 months post tkr with 2 mua's behind me and chronic unrelenting pain in my knee.  I still persist in the exercises, but it's more than discouraging.  I have been doing acupuncture for about three months with a few interuptions and today we decided it was time for a break because it really wasn't making any difference at all. :-(  Because the scar tissue is a mechanical problem, the best we could hope for, according to the doctor (an MD) was a better flow of energy that would somehow counteract the pain.  Next step for me is a brace that will perhaps help with gait issues that are contributing to the pain.  This is definitely not what I bargained for, but I am at least upright and mobile - in a manner of speaking and I use really classy looking canes!
Madonna