Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scar tissue complications with my knee replacement  (Read 16602 times)

Gimppy

Scar tissue complications with my knee replacement
« on: June 18, 2005, 10:58:25 PM »
I am TOTALLY new to this type of info center ... so please bear with me! I had a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago, using the J & J DePuy Knee. I have had a 50 year history with my knee, 8 surgeries prior to the replacment ... going into surgery only had a 90 degree bend, luckily I have a a fabulous Orthropedic Surgeon, one who has been listed in the "top Docs" ... that not withstanding, I am in PT and have major scar tissue problems, with only a 50 DEGREE BEND ... I am totally frustrated and getting depressed, which is not my basic nature, I am a very optimistic person normally... always see the brighter side of life. QUESTION ...
should I at this point request that my MD go back into my knee, while I have a Spinal, and break the scar tissue??? I am in PT
3 times weekly for a 2 hour stretch.  At home I 'try' to hang my leg over the bed and let gravity 'pull' and bend my leg ... anyone who has had this knows of the pain involved ... at this point, I feel very beaten down ... Any suggestions? I have been a VERY
active person my entire life, sports-wise, etc.

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Scar tissue complications with my knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 09:13:41 PM »
Hello Gimmpy,

I think you would get more help if you checked the total knee replacement section.  There is a procedure call MUA (manipulation under anthesia) which is often very helpful after a TKR.  A lady named Josie had this done last week and her ROM is almost 100 now.  You should be able to talk with her under the TKR section.  Another lady named Hubbmama had a MUA done and found it to be helpful also.

Jan
1985 - auto accident- both knee went thur the dash.
1985 - 1990 Four scopes left knee
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA
2005 - Right TKR  revision
2006 TKR - left knee, 2 MUA
2007 2nd TKR  revision - Rt knee

Gimppy

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 05:59:52 PM »
Jani,

Thanks so very much for your info ...Yes, I had known about that BUT with the many operations, scar tissue, keloids, we
though possibly through regular PT, I would form less scar tissue, but take longer to increase my bend ...today, at the end of therapy, with my PT really 'working the bend' , he measured a 70 degree bend ... of course, that was with extreme pushing ...
ouch! I ALSO REALIZED that I do have Arthrofibrosis ... but I am NOW confident that hopefully by the end of this year,
I'll realize the 110 degree bend projected.  This has certainly been quite a challenge ...
Janice "Gimppy"

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 12:46:01 PM »
My knee replacement on my right knee was my 14th surgery on that knee.  The surgeries included a LR, fulkerson, and a patellectomy.  At 3 1/2 months post op I ended up getting a MAU.  It was the best decision I made.  I had ROM up to about 100-110 and then lost it down to about 70.  I had a major increase in pain. I did not get the major increase of ROM after the MAU but it did break up the scar tissue, relieved a lot of the pain and made it easier for me to stretch.  I finally got about 110 of ROM and that is good enough for me. 
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Gimppy

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 11:08:04 PM »
My update ... this Monday, 7/11, my surgeon will be going into my knee Arthroscopically to excise the scar tissue and adhesions that are preventing my bend ... Yes, I am still in pain, on Tylenol 4, but am VERY hopeful that after the scar tissue removal
I will be on the mend ... will be going to PT 5 days a week and on the CPM machine 6 hours daily to prevent more scar tissue ..
it will be tough BUT NO TOUGHER THAN THESE PAST 9 WEEKS  ... thanks to those that responded to me ... My light is now at the end of the tunnel and I can SEE it clearly!!!!!!!!!
Gimppy  :)

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 02:47:08 AM »
Good Luck GIMPPY !  !   Hope everything goes well on Monday!

H U G s !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

support