Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: 'POP!' - is that the ACL gone?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Thrill_Racing

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
'POP!' - is that the ACL gone?
« on: January 03, 2003, 04:04:22 PM »
Hello all, and thank you for any info or help.

I had a grade 1 sprain of my MCL in September, went through therepay and wound up fine.  Well yesterday, I slipped out of my truck and heard a LOUD pop and a feeling that almost made me sick.  It didn't hurt all that much but if feels like my lowere leg has decided to have its own mind.  
I called my Ortho and can't get in untill the 17th.  They suggested I go to a emergency care center, kind of like and emergency room only for less sever problems.  Well after the lovely wait.  I saw a Dr. (wanna be) he literally didn't touch my knee he took x-ray adn said to put my I-ROM back on.  
Well, its on but it doesn't seem to be stabilizing my knee.  

My, question.  Should I try and see someone else or go to the ER before my 17th appoitment.  

Sorry for the length but I am a little worried about injuring it further.

-Will
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 11:10:24 PM by admin »
Total ankle reconstruction of both ankles, multiple scopes of left knee.  Hto in 03' that didn't work. Hardware removal in 04' and new HTO in June of 05'

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
did it swell?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 11:01:25 PM »
"The pop" is something that is quite often felt with ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tears. Usually if this happens there will also very rapid swelling of the knee because of bleeding and damage inside the joint. (unlike medial ligament damage which doesn't usually cause such rapid swelling)
Also with an ACL tear there is usually limitation of extension and flexion. The combination of twisting, a pop, immediate swelling does mean that an ACL tear is a distinct possibility

Even with an ACL tear it is unlikely that anyone would do very much until the acute injury has settled and you have  regained a reasonable range of motion. Most surgeons seem to prefer to wait because then if surgery is needed there is less risk of problems with stiffness.

2 weeks seems like a long time when you are waiting and in pain, but it may not alter the outcome. However if an MRI is being considered it might speed things up to go to an ER earlier. Are there any disadvantages to going to the ER (financial or otherwise)?  Early gentle physio might also help

It is often difficult to do the clinical tests for ligament instability a few days after the injury rather than immediately because of swelling and muscle spasm. So that might be another reason for waiting.
Whatever you decide good luck
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Offline Thrill_Racing

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: MCL Help please
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 04:22:02 AM »
It didn't swell untill today, now it is like a football.  I didn't loose ROM it's just totally unstable :-[.  Anyway I just put my donjoy on and will wait the two weeks.  Thanks for the help.
-Will

I notice there are very few MCL questions on the board??
Total ankle reconstruction of both ankles, multiple scopes of left knee.  Hto in 03' that didn't work. Hardware removal in 04' and new HTO in June of 05'

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 07:01:45 AM »
When I tore my ACL(s) well the one and 2 grafts, i had next to no swelling just pain and instability (yes that feeling like the top 1/2 and lower 1/2 of your leg are no longer talking to each other and decide to move in oposite directions frequently). The 3rd time (most recent June 02) the Pop was like a shotgun and SO loud you could hear it in the other side of our house (no mean feat).
WE are assuming it is my ACL Again as so far I can't get an OS to look at it (they basically all try to tell me it is "probably either my HMS/HEDS or RSD playing up", and "to get a good brace and get used to it as I may have to wear it 24/7 for the rest of my life  :o :o I am 31)
WE (My GP, sports Med Doc, PT, orthotist, massage therapist and Osteopath) all think at minimum ACL and Meniscus at worst I dislocated my KNEE (not patella) and have injured ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL and Meniscus.) I also seem to have HEAPS of scar tissue and fibrosis especially inthe fat pats above and below my kneecap (my knee is very very deformed). My leg seems twisted and my Orthotist says it is as my CTI can't be worn at present because it tries to put my leg into the anatomically corect position which is EXCRUCIATING to say the least) It has also changed my walking patterns completely, I used to be badly pronated (walked on the inside of my feet ie. arches) now on the LEft (injured) one I walk on the very outside of my foot (they (above docs) think this is because of the twist in my leg).
I am on heaps of pain killers, can barely walk wear a IROM for about 23 hr's a day (and still feel unstable).

I think the reason there are very few MCL posts it that it is rare to injure just your MCL (I think but don't quote me on this, that MCL injuries usually occur with ACl, PCl or menicus injuries, and also that a lot of MCL injuries heal on there own and thus surgery etc is not needed).

If you are worried about the knee, go and see the ER or GP or a sports Med Doc beofre your OS appointment and if it is swelling and you can tolerate Ice (I can't due to RSD) then Ice it for 20 min's every 2 hr's and also try to rest your knee, add some compression (like one of those tubular bandages, under the Irom), and try to elevate it so that your knee is above your heart level (like lying on the floor with your leg against the couch or wall or on a lot of pillows, or lie backwards in bed and put your leg up on the headboard/wall)

Hope this helps as I have been there and done that and know how FRUSTRATING it is. (I see a new OS on the 20th I have to fly there a 45 min to 1hr flight as no OS here will look at my knee  ::))
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 05:30:35 PM »
As with Sharinoz, When I tore my ACL it went "pop" but I didnt really have any swelling, just a really unstable joint. I tore my MCL and the lateral with it too. The surgeons always say that the medial lig can heal itself with time, it sort of thickens but often heals a lot loosser than it was. The ACL cant heal, once its gone , its gone and Im no doctor but thats sure what it sounds like you've done to yourself. I wont be surprised if you post us later saying you need an ACL reconstruction. Sorry to not have positive news for you. I would say that because your medial was damaged, it left your knee unstable enough to cause the ACL to go :-(...
Good luck, Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline largolou

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2003, 11:45:24 PM »
Hello, I don't know how your availability to get an MRI is but an MRI and a good OS  is really the only way to really find out what went on in your knee.  Without that, it is really hard to say what kind of treatment you need.  I have been using this forum since my injury, Oct 25th and realy have had some great advice!

Good luck!

largolou
Rt. knee Grade III ACL tear,medial and lateral meniscus tears.  ACL  recon, allograft partial lateral and medial menisectomy, chondroplasty.