Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pinch Behind the knee after total knee replacement  (Read 921 times)

Offline tcampbell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pinch Behind the knee after total knee replacement
« on: April 21, 2005, 05:11:12 PM »
My father had total knee replacement surgury on his right knee 4 months ago, he is 58.  He is having trouble bending his knee back past 90% as he gets a "pinch" in the back of the knee that is very very painful and stops him from bending his knee all the wway back.  He says that pinch is more painful then the stetching exercises.  This is holding him back from streching the quad muscle.  The physical therapist has discovered that dis-traction (which is pulling the bottom of his leg so his knee seperates) bypasses the pinch in the back of the knee so he can work on streching the quad muscle.

Any one ever heard of this or know why he is getting this "pinch" in the back of his knee?

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Pinch Behind the knee after total knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
I believe that I have that also, but I describe, and the therpaist as just not being able to force thebend back further. I have a ton of swelling, and my tkr knee is much larger than my other, and I , too, can, take both my hands, and wrap them around from the front to the back, and kind of lift up all the skin and tissue, out of the way, and then they are able to bend it back a little more. IF I don't lift it, and leave it there, it just stops us from bending it any further. The therapist said this is not usual , but the trick to lift up and out of the way works for many problems. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline tcampbell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Pinch Behind the knee after total knee replacement
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 06:59:47 PM »
Thanks for your input Theresa.  His doctor is not sure what the problem is.  He goes to see the doctor again this week, I will let you know if they have a cure!