Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Broken Patella Questions  (Read 1148 times)

Offline tdy36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Broken Patella Questions
« on: March 25, 2005, 04:27:39 PM »
Hi everyone... I am a 15 year old male who is trying to get back playing football after an injury on the field a while ago...In August of last year I was in a game and i was tackled and my knee cap came out of the joint and the trainer assumed it was a dislocated knee and all i needed to do was strengthen the muscles around the knee and id be ok but the dislocation occured about 5 more times during my healing process so i finally went to a doctor and he did orthoscopy and found that i had a torn ACL which he repaired 6 weeks ago but 2 weeks after that i fell and broke my knee cap in half which i had surgery 3 weeks ago on and he put wires through my knee...my questions are does anyone know how long a broken knee cap takes to heal from before I can do everything normally again and which injury will take longer to heal from?? Thanks You everyone for your help

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Re: Broken Patella Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 12:13:56 AM »
Hi, tdy36. Sorry to hear of your knee tribulations.

Recovery varies so much, but generally it takes about 4-8 weeks for the fracture itself to heal. During that time, you will progress from the immobilizer to a brace (sometimes called a ROM brace). Recovery from a broken patella actually involves more than the bone healing, however. Following your period of immobilization, you will need to rehab the knee and leg to regain ROM (range of motion) and strength. It is impossible to predict how short or how long it will take, but youth and motivation are on your side.

Take care!

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation