Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: I fell very hard on my knees and now I'm freaking out  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Paigey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I fell very hard on my knees and now I'm freaking out
« on: February 10, 2005, 05:41:25 PM »
This past Saturday, I was walking up a sidewalk to enter a store. For some reason, my legs or ankles suddenly gave out and I fell down(I have a history of falling down). I fell forward on my hands and knees and it felt like I had the breath knocked out of me. I got up, shook it off and just tried to stay off of it for a few days. Sunday, I noticed that from the top of my knee to the base of my toes that my leg was numb. I blew it off thinking perhaps my natural endorphins had kicked in to prevent all the pain. The numbness initially was just down the top of my leg, but now it's numb the entire top half of my leg and I can still feel excrutiating pain on the sides of it. In addition, the entire leg beginning about 3 inches above my knee all the way down is swollen twice as big as my left leg. I'm self employed, have no insurance and a very small bank account. I know I need to see a dr, but I don't want to waste too much money since I really don't have it to spend. Can anyone here give me some advice on what I can do?

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
Re: I fell very hard on my knees and now I'm freaking out
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 06:05:51 PM »
It's possible that you have broken your leg. What happenned to you sound's like what happenned when I fell on my arm, didn't realise it was broken for a week. Even then it took another 2 week's for the dr's to realise it.

I can't really give advice on what you can do though because im from the UK and we don't have to pay for healthcare.

Offline Paigey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 07:22:22 PM »
I really need some advice here. I'm getting scared because my right leg is so much bigger than my left leg. Has anyone here had something similar happen?

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 09:30:54 PM »
Paigey, cost aside, I would get yourself to an emergency room asap.  If you are having intolerable pain and have possibly broken something, you are asking for further trouble by NOT getting it checked out.

I don't know where you are from...US perhaps? so I don't understand the health care system.  Can you not call your GP if an emergency room visit is out of the question?  What about a walk-in clinic?

Your health and life is way more important than money.  Please have yourself checked out!

Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 12:11:18 AM »
If you are in the US, most if not all county hospitals provide health care regardless of insurance.  If you can't pay, the state/county does.  Look up the hospitals in your book, and go for the one with "X County."

Or see if there is a religious-based hospital in your area (like CHS or Catholic Health Services) here in the West.  These usually have Saints' names--St. Lukes is the big one here in Phoenix.

The fact of the matter is, no one can advise you to do anything differently.  You seem to have a significant injury, and you must get it treated.  Money or not.  A broken bone that is not set correctly, and when you are feeling numbness, is a very serious condition.  If circulation has been affected, you are looking at more costs.  Sometimes it's better to get it taken care of while the problem is straightforward and simple.

So check out county or religious-affiliated hospitals.  They cannot refuse to treat you.  You can pay back a little each month--as long as you keep the account current (by paying, say, $25/week or month) then they can't come after you or call a collections agency.  See if there is a social worker in the hospital that you can talk to, he/she might have good advice on how to proceed.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline mary roy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 06:09:11 PM »
This past Saturday, I was walking up a sidewalk to enter a store. For some reason, my legs or ankles suddenly gave out and I fell down(I have a history of falling down). I fell forward on my hands and knees and it felt like I had the breath knocked out of me. I got up, shook it off and just tried to stay off of it for a few days. Sunday, I noticed that from the top of my knee to the base of my toes that my leg was numb. I blew it off thinking perhaps my natural endorphins had kicked in to prevent all the pain. The numbness initially was just down the top of my leg, but now it's numb the entire top half of my leg and I can still feel excrutiating pain on the sides of it. In addition, the entire leg beginning about 3 inches above my knee all the way down is swollen twice as big as my left leg. I'm self employed, have no insurance and a very small bank account. I know I need to see a dr, but I don't want to waste too much money since I really don't have it to spend. Can anyone here give me some advice on what I can do?