Author Topic: anyone had a synovectomy?  (Read 27221 times)

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
anyone had a synovectomy?
« on: February 08, 2005, 12:44:59 PM »
I am having a synovectomy on 23rd Feb. 3rd time for surgery lucky I hope.
Has anyone out there got any advice? Does anyone know if it is possible to get 'normal' use of the knee after this procedure (I am having this done arthroscopically). I would love to get back to running, but dont know if this is possible.
Also, if one function of the synovium is to lubricate the joint - I guess I will have no lubrication with no synovium (until it grows back of course - just to be a little pessimistic)! Does this cause problems?
Any advice would be gratefully received. Not sure if many read this far down the board, so may repost.
Many thanks
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: anyone had a synovectomy?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 12:53:58 PM »
Hi Rosa, I dont think that I can help much but just wanted to let you know, when i got my op notes, it says that they have done a synovectomy during ALL of my surgeries (no one bothered to tell me this ) I have had continued problems but cant blame it on that (at least not to my knowledge). Hope someone can help you
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline MedicJess

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • links to post-op pics here too
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 11:58:29 AM »
Rosa, I just had a limited synovectomy done with some other procedures (scar tissue removal among them) and I am quite interested in how your experience turned out?
Jessie
4/96 - sports accident involving LK
6/96- LK scope and "chondromalacia", patellar chondroplasty,
ongoing- bilateral PFS, osteoarthritis, patella alta
12/04- LK LR and TTT
03/25/05 - LK scar tissue removal, patellar chondroplasty, and limited synovectomy for extreme synovitis

Offline LucyC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 11:18:04 PM »
Hi Rosa
Long time no speak! I've been so busy since my op that I've very bad at keeping in contact...but i was just browsing kneeguru and saw your post...how did the op go? did you get full range of motion afterwards? how are things now?

Just a quick update on my knee situation (I'll email you properly later) I still haven't got full ROM back since the open synovectomy but I think thats just because I've been taking my exercises very gently...it's taken a good year to get back to feeling 100% although it hasn't stopped me doing stuff!

6 months after the op when I could only get to 90 degrees bend I did a tandem skydive, I also did a long haul flight that month to Hawaii and did a lot of swimming and some shark diving...and 3 weeks ago I went snowboarding for a week (and I only fell 3 times and each time didn't hurt myself...I did have MASSIVE knee protection though!!). I'm also riding again (at last!). Even though it's still not fully recovered I still feel like I have a new knee which is why it hasn't stopped me.

the only downside to the synovectomy is the huge scar I've been left with which is still very pronounced and red as it healed too quickly...and it "aches" a lot when it gets cold. If it's really damp weather it feels like there's no lubrication in it as it aches a lot...but I can bear it as it's nothing like the pain I used to be in.

From my experience from what my surgeon told me it's not possible to fully remove the synovium during arthroscopic proceedures as it's too complicated a tissue. Therefore I would expect you to have a bit more "lubrication" in your joint than say me....apparantly I have no synovium left  (well thats not entirely true as that again is impossible to achieve but the one or two cell layer I have left i'm told will never regrow)..and I was told lack of lubrictaion was no problem...although with the aching I get in cold weather I'm not so convinced!

I came off the methotrexate but had to go back on it in January after a massive inflammatory flare up in my system (CRP levels over 110!!! normal is less than 20 i think) caused my neck to go into massive spasms and i literally couldn't move for three days. But the methotrexate has kept everything at bay so far...throughout that though  my knee was as good as ever. I'm still on the sulphasalosine but I'm not sure if that's actually doing anything...what medication are you on now?

Anyway I'll email you properly..I hope you're well and I hope you've still got your horse!

Talk soon

Lucy
xx
Jan 01:swelling LK: arthoscopy,diagnosed - seronegative monoarthopathy. Symptom free 1yr. June 02 constant, painful, swellings.March 03 - partial synovectomy. Worse swelling. Jan 04 open synovectomy

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 11:44:03 AM »
Hi all,
well, one month from another partial synovectomy (plus the usual debridement of patellar, and some other OA grade III I never had last time), and the swelling is back. The pain is minimal, just a little aching, but the discomfort and limitation caused by the swelling is showing the same old pattern. I find it quite exhausting. Maybe it is too early to tell if this op was a success, but I am not convinced...  It may be that the swelling is something systemic after all.
Lucy - it is good to hear from you, and that you are getting active again - thanks for your email. In answer to the question about drugs - I am not on any at the moment. None of the NSAIDS have worked in the past, and the suphasalasine side effects were such that I was taken straight off it. Methotrexate has been mentioned, but I have avoided it so far, as myself and my partner are thinking if starting a family (the idea was for after this op).
Jessie, how did your partial synovectomy work out? Do you suffer from a lot of swelling?
Hope things are improving for you all
Ros
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline mike_bknee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 12:25:31 PM »
Just a little note.  I have had four arthroscopic knee surgeries in the last year, synvectomies being a part of at least two of them.  I came through the surgeries very well, but inflammation kept coming back and I was worse a month after the surgeries than I was 3 days after the surgeries.  I finally got tired of not being able to walk from the pain and discomfort,dropped the NSAIDS, and just wrapped my knees with an Ace bandage.  It was a miracle!  My knees cleared up within hours.  With compression, my knees are fine.  Take the wraps off, and I am in a lot of pain within an hour.  I have switched to Tubigrips (compression sock) in the last week, simply for the ease of application, and they stay in place even when I work, also very comfortable.  I keep my knees wrapped during the day, and most nights.  Hopefully I will be able to dispose of them at some time, but even if I have to keep wearing them the rest of my life, I could live with it.  I can live again!! ;D ;D ;D

I thought of compression because I remembered I had TEDS ordered by my doctor for a couple weeks after surgery, and I remembered my knees had gone downhill right after I quit wearing them.

Anyone had experiences like mine?  What can I expect long term?  My OS and reumatologist are stumped, but also happy. :)
Mike B
MT

Plica Sydrome, LR both knees 4/04, anterior interval release plica removal R knee 1/3/05, AIR plica removal LK 2/14/05

Offline appleg8

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 01:48:44 PM »
Lucy, I am interested in the medications you are taking  post-synovectomy. One Dr. mentioned methatrexate to me. What is the purpose of the meds, side effects, effectiveness, etc.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 12:14:39 PM »
Rosa,

I agree with Mike - compression socks are a wonderful invention.  I wear these alot and have found great relief from swelling and they are a very comfy sock.  You can buy them at any drug store - there are all sorts of different brands.  My GP gave me a prescription for them and the insurance pays for the socks.

http://www.drleonards.com/detail.cfm?EDP=10284164

Might make a big difference for you,

Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 12:10:15 PM »
Rosa,

Here is another thing that might help  - tubigrip arthropad

Tubigrip® Arthropad is a pad for a joint made from a double layer of natural-colored Tubigrip® with a foam interlining. Tubigrip® applies support and pressure to the area.  Available to accommodate joints ranging from a small elbow to a swollen knee.

Shade
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 12:50:10 AM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Lvc595

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 05:34:46 PM »
My Synvectomy surgery is on April 22, 2009 in San Franciisco.

How long were you on crutches and how long before you were able to go up stairs. ( I have 16 stairs)

Are you feeling better now than before? My knee is unstable and has disclocated twice.  THe Dr. said it was due to too much fluid .  PLease let me know if this worked for you. I think it would be better than a TKR.

THank You,
Lori
Lori

Advertisement

support