Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: TKR - March 2005 - Let's keep in touch  (Read 168792 times)

Offline ellies

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: TKR - March 2005 - Let's keep in touch
« Reply #270 on: April 17, 2005, 12:49:25 PM »
Good morning Jan, Lisa, Sarah.

What a beautiful day it is here. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the husband is out playing golf !! Life is good  :)
How are you all doing ?  Jan, an 80 degree bend at your stage is fantastic.  You deserve to be feeling happy.  You are doing so well.  Keeping the pain under control helps so much with the progress.  Have you ever tried, or thought of, acupuncture as another form of pain control ? I haven't actually used for my knee yet, but have used it for other things and it is fantastic.  Part of the cause of all our pain probably is tension, & acupuncture relieves tension very effectively.  It can also ease the movement of the joints.  I will possibly give it a try again in a few weeks.

Lisa, I get tired too much too soon as well.  It is SO frustrating, but we know it will get better.  I was thinking about going back to work but the short answer to that is NO. I was totally exhausted yesterday after shopping & then going for a walk with Dave later, that I know I am not ready for work.  The surgeon did tell me it would probably be 3 months off work & I am beginning to believe him now !!
As for the hamstrings, Lisa, please don't overdo it.  That is my hardest thing at the moment too.  The physio has told me that as soon as any muscle shakes or rebels with the exercise that you are doing, STOP.  You will not get any benefit from carrying on & may do harm.  Your body is telling you it has had enough.  It is better to do little & often rather than more less often.  So do a few hamstring stretches, stop & do more later.  End of lecture..... ;)  Just be careful.  I wish you good luck tomorrow.  What a busy day you have but I hopte it is good news from both your OS & PT.  I'll be thinking of you even more.

Can I ask you all, what is an ERMI Flexinator ?  It sounds like an excellent piece of equipment. If I know what it is I could ask about it over here.  Anything to help alleviate the stiffness would be greatly appreciated.

Jan, the dressing that I mentioned before is also sold as "Tegaderm Pad" & is made in the USA by 3M Health Care.  I have posted you an example as I don't need it any more at the moment !

Sarah, how are you doing today?  I hope things are ok with you.

Jan, yes I did have lots of support form some of the family & many very good friends when going through my gynae problems.  I didn't have health problems when we got the girls because the Adoption people were not prepared to progress with their process until I had sorted out my health issues.  At the time I thought this was totally unreasonable, but I soon realised they were right.  Both the hysterectomy at a youg age & the Adoption process were very traumatic & to cope with both simultaneously would have been a complete nightmare, so we got it right in the end.

I have to take my daughter out now, so I will look out for you later.
Have a good day all of you.
See you later.
Ellen
1998 scope R knee
2002 scope R knee, bone graft R knee
2003 scope R knee
2003 scope L knee
2004 scope L knee
2004 ACI L knee
2004 2 x scopes L knee
2005 TKR L knee

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #271 on: April 17, 2005, 04:54:19 PM »
Ellies

You can find the flexionator at their website     www.ermiproducts.com
You need a doctor's script to rent. My ins approved it's use. I have had it in my home now for 6 weeks . It is a chair you sit on with an inclined extended leg track that has a foot rest that moves to allow for ankle flexion. You sit down , put your foot on the foot rest and flip a toggle switch to activate the hyrolics. You start pumping the handle towards you and that brings your foot and leg up in to a flexed position. YOU CONTROL how far you want to bring your knee in flexion ,the handle allows for large or little incriments of flexion. When you reach your threshold for flexion you hold it for about 5 min then flip the toggle switch which releases the hydrolics. Your foot pad will slowly descend down the incline track to extension position and a period of recovery for your leg. Then you repeat the process , each time increasing the flexion threshold. I did this 4 times /day for 15 min periods. You can do it 5-7 times day if needed. I found this kept my flexion on an even pace thru the day. I didn't have the rollar coaster of working flexion and losing it as the day went on or til next PT visit. At my 7 week post op , I was 130 degrees thanks to the hard work using the ERMI flexionator. I think it should be standard in home rehab post TKR for the constant stiffness and flexion battle total knees can be. I don't know if it is available in the UK. I highly recommend it

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline ellies

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #272 on: April 17, 2005, 05:15:47 PM »
Hello Jan,

It's me again.  I have been talking with a neighbour of ours just now who also has severe knee problems.  2 surgeons wrote him off because his knee was so bad, so I got him to give one last try with my surgeon.  Phil (the neighbour) had an ACI & osteotomy last year which had only very limited success.  My surgeon has now said there is not a lot more he can do for Phil, l he will not do a TKR on him, partly because the problems now extend to his back & hips as well.  He was saying today that he is seriously considering going to the States to try his luck there.  I told him about this site & also said I would ask you for the name of your present surgeon as he seems to be so excellent.  Would you mind giving it to me so I can pass it on to Phil. He is so desperate, he will try anything now.  He is a few years younger than us & has 2 lovely little girls & his quality of life is seriously being eroded.  I do feel for him. 
Thank you for that.

Will catch up later
Ellen
1998 scope R knee
2003 scope R knee
2003 scope L knee
2004 scope L knee
2004 ACI L knee
2004 2 x scopes L knee
2005 TKR L knee

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #273 on: April 17, 2005, 05:44:05 PM »
Good Morning Sarah, Ellen and Lisa,

It is a good morning here in Michigan.  I spoke with my doctor this morning and I think we have finally got the pain medication sorted out and I am feeling better!! ;D  The weather here is amazing.  On the news this morning they said this was the best April on history.  Warm and sunny day after day for the past week.  Winter is over.  The grass has turned green and may need to be cut for the first time this year.  My knee is bending a litle more each day.  I am in a much better mood today, can you tell?  Life looks so much better when you're not in so much pain.  I think I might be getting close to 90 degrees, I don't want to get to excited until it is measured, but WOW it looks good.  It's been a long sice I have been able to bend my knee this much!

Ellen you are an amazing lady!  You have overcome some major obstacles and in the end instead of being bitter and unhappy, you have come out the other side a kind and compassionate women considerate of others.  Considering everything you have been through in life, I am so glad that your TKR recovery has been uneventful.  

Sarah, how are you doing?

Lisa, my thoughts will be will you tomorrow.  I hope you continue to get good news when you see your OS.

I'll talk with you latter.

Jan
1985 - auto accident- both knee went thur the dash.
1985 - 1990 Four scopes left knee
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA
2005 - Right TKR  revision
2006 TKR - left knee, 2 MUA
2007 2nd TKR  revision - Rt knee

Offline SuburbanLife

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #274 on: April 17, 2005, 06:50:51 PM »
Good Morning Ladies,
Lovely day here as well.
Jan, thanks for the good thoughts, you had asked previously and I forgot to respond. No, I don't use a pillow or anything under my bad knee, when I lay, I buck-up with keeping it straight as long as I can then I lay it to the side. I am taking it easy on the hamstrings, working more on the bending. That doesn't disbale me, so I will ask PT tomorrow. Owie looks the same still oozing from the same spot, but if you push oon it, you don't get more out, it just slowly seeps out, so definatly improving, very slowly tho.
The flexontor looks interesting, looks also like I could hurt myself on it! Klutz here. I have enough trouble mounting the exercise bike without killing myself.
Hey Ellen, yup, think the 3 months could be very reasonable for your time off work. Just such a terribly slow process to recover strength and stamina, amazes me.
Sorry I am so short today, off to spend time with the family, our only day together, but have to touch bases with my knee family! Hope you all have a great day and take care of yourselves...Lisa
March 2005-Total Knee Replacement

Offline Sarahreindeer

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #275 on: April 17, 2005, 07:17:45 PM »
I really hurt today.  I am coughing up green so I am a bit under the weather.  My knee is oozing still (yellow serous fluid), but is continuing to heal.  Sarah

Offline ellies

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #276 on: April 17, 2005, 10:54:59 PM »
Good evening Lisa, Sarah, Jan.

Just checking in on my way to bed.  The sun gave way to good old British rain this afternoon, but it was still a nice day.
Sarah, I'm sorry to hear you are not well today. Can they give you antibiotics for the cough as well ?  I hope that clears up soon.  You really don't need that on top of everything else. 
Lisa, I hope you had a lovely family day and I will be thinking of you tomorrow.  Good luck.
Jan, you really are doing so well & I am so pleased for you. Yes, we can tell that you are happier !!  ;D  I feel so good about the outcome for you this time.  Is it this Tuesday that you are seeing your OS ?  I am seeing mine on Wednesday.  I don't know why, but I am feeling nervous about that. 

Look after yourselves & I'll talk again later.
Ellen
1998 scope R knee
2003 scope R knee
2003 scope L knee
2004 scope L knee
2004 ACI L knee
2004 2 x scopes L knee
2005 TKR L knee

Offline SuburbanLife

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #277 on: April 17, 2005, 11:20:32 PM »
Aw Sarah,
Sorry to hear that you are having a bad day! I was coughing up colors when my knee first got infected, but the antibiotics they gave me for the knee cleared up the cough. Can't imagine that you can catch anything the way they have you treated! Still oozing, but continuing to heal, that is good, same here as well. Rest, it's good for you and your knee, kill 2 birds with one stone that way. Hope to be hearing that you are feeling better soon, take care...LIsa
March 2005-Total Knee Replacement

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #278 on: April 17, 2005, 11:44:56 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I just woke up from a three hour nap, now that the pain is being managed I am able to sleep some, which felt great.

Ellen, I would be honored to do whatever I can to help your neighbor.  Here is some basic information on my doctor, his name is Dr. David Blaha. 

http://www2.med.umich.edu/pcdv2/index.cfm?fuseaction=provider.profile&individual_id=106305&um_department=Orthopaedic%20Surgery

His partner's name is Dr. Urquhart

http://www2.med.umich.edu/pcdv2/index.cfm?fuseaction=provider.profile&individual_id=36244&um_department=Orthopaedic%20Surgery

Both deal with difficult total knee replacements.  I was told that other OS refer their complex cases to these two doctors.  They do the TKR other can't or won't do.  But the don't want to clean up other doctor's mistakes.  I am very fortunate they choose to treat me.  Orginally I saw Dr. Urguhart and he felt that DR. Blaha would be more qualified to treat my knee and insisted I see him at least once for a consult. I liked Dr. Blaha so much that I stayed with him.  Both doctors are very likeable.  It appears that my doctor, Dr. Blaha, has spent some time in England, did you notice that?

I had to send all of my medical records and then after they had been reviewed, I received a call with an appointment.   It took a couple of months to just get an appointment 4 months away.  But I am not sorry I waited.

I told my doctor about this website while I was in the hospital and asked him if it was alright with him if I posted his name and he said it was fine.  He also told me that he could recommend other doctor is other part of the U.S. that were up to date on all of his research.  I might be able to help your friend cut through some on the red tape I encountered so he wouldn't have to wait so long to be seen.  Let me know how I can be of help.  YOur friend might be able to arrange a phone call with Dr. Blaha after he had his medical records.

Sarah, with all of the antibiotic you are on you must have caught a viral infection.  I do wish you could get a break and feel better soon.

Lisa, now it time for you to get a break and things improve for you.  My thoughts will be with you all day tomorrrow, it's time for some good news!  Hang in there.

Jan
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 12:36:14 AM by Jan_L. »
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2005, 02:35:09 AM »
Jan, Don't know if you read about the guy in Springfield, MO who is also looking for a revision I believe. Is there a physcian that yours can recommend in MO. I know this other guy is more tied to certain drs than I am as he is in a HMO. Thanks for any help. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2005, 02:51:26 AM »
Ellen. sorry it took me so long to answer. Yes, I have 5 children. I had one fairly easily, and then had problems trying to get pregnant, and the Family practice dr. did a scope, and "burned the endometriosis" away, and messed with the ovaries (wedge resection) and I was pregnant almost immediately. They said they did not understand why but the wedge resections seemed to work almost every time. Then I tried for three years, but could not get pregnant. I finallygave up, and after 10 YEARS USING NO BIRTH CONTROL, I got pregnant, and could not imagine what was wrong. I had been told I had lots of scarring, from the endometrosis, and did not have regular periods, and have what they now call SYNDROME X. When he was only6 months old, I was pregnant again, although I was not sure for awhile, as I was nursing and never had a period. THen when we had 3 boys and 1 girl, I agreed to "TrY one time" and boom pregnant with a girl, that I had at age39/. THAT WAS ENOUGH, but , unfortunately, I bled for a year straight, and had a hysterectomy. I have bad pelvic pain from the adhesions that pull, Sometimes you can see (and feel of course) these big spasms of the adhesions. My last surgery was hip to hip, and still they worked 4-5 hours a gynecologist and a urologist, and accomplished very little. They said they would just have to manage the pain. I do find it interesting that some of us form scar tissue so easily, and in so many parts of our bodies.  Teresa

Jan, I hope you straighten out the pain thing soon. Oxycontin made me very nauseated, and I could not tolerate it. I actually get a lot more relief with the Vicodin 10/500 than the Percocet, or others. I also use a Duragesis Patch 100mcg, but I have had it since the last gyn surgery, to manage that pain. My dr. likes me to take MS CONTIN also. twice a day, but I havent for awhile. I try to not use more than absolutely lnecessary, but my post op pain from the revision in Oct. was unbearable for awhile, and I did use more for a few weeks, then cut back to nightime only, but have had to , with the increased swelling, and pain, had to go back to some in the day time also. I just don't like that drowsiness that sneaks up on me. Hope all is well to day. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #281 on: April 18, 2005, 04:22:36 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I just finished up my PT and I feel good.  Each day teh exercises become less painful and the range of motion gets a little better.  I am so excited.  I guess I will find out on Tuesday if I have hit the 90 degreee mark.

Thanks Teresa, I am doing much better with pain management.  It just took a while to figure out what combination of meds to take and now all is well.  It's funny how meds work so differently for each of us.  Oxycontin works great for me and the Duragesic patch didn't help at all.  I don't know about the "guy in Springfield, MO" but would be glad to do whtever I could to help him.  I did leave a message  last week for someone offering  my help but haven't heard anything back.  Is this the same man?   

By the way, my doctor did say he would be willing to talk with another doctor.  I think Sarah had asked about this, so I asked my doctor and he said he would be glad to talk with another doctor actually he said he gets calls from all over the U.S. all the time.  Ellen, this might be an option for your neighbor.  I was telling my doctor about how I was bragging about him and his work and he seemed to enjoy it.

My days are just slipping by, one after another.  It's hard to believe it's bedtime again and I have done so little.  All I am doing is just my PT and then posting messages here, that's it.  Lisa and Ellen, is that what your first week at home was like?  Now that I am starting to feel better, maybe I can start making some calls and get caught up with my friends.

Sarah, I hope you are feeling better.  I think the yellow fluid you mention is normal drainage, not connected to infection at all, am I correct?  When I had that type of drainage my last two days in the hospital no one was worried about infection, just said I had a lot of inflammation.  When do you see your doctor?  Do you have an appointmetn with anyone about your cough? 

I hope everyone has a pleasant night, talk to you in the morning.

Jan
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #282 on: April 18, 2005, 04:05:20 PM »
Good Morning Ellen, Lisa and Sarah,

Lisa, I feel as if I am on pins and needles again waiting to find out how your knee is doing.  I so hope your OS is pleased with the way it looks.  No matter how slight an infection may be, it is still scary following a TKR.  I just went back and check, PT in the morning and OS in the afternoon.  So it will be a while before we have any mews.  My thoughts are with you today and I am so hoping for good news.  What's you pain been like?  Any changes? 

Sarah, are you seeing a doctor today?  Are you running a fever?  Is the cough any better?  How is your knee doing?  Basically, how are you?  I am worried about you. 

I am doing so much better today!  Pain is under control, which make a world of difference.  I got up showered, wash and dried my hair, got dressed and fench braided my hair.  Had breakfast and was ready for the visiting nurse by 9 A.M.  Just doing normal hygiene drained me completely last week and today it didn't. 

I am looking forward to leaving the house tomorrow.  Maybe I will try and go outside today for a short walk.

With the change in meds, I am now sleping much better.  I am getting some blocks of sleep.  Before I was waking up every 45 minutes to hour.  Last night I slept for 4 hours straight and then got some more sleep that was broken up a bit.  But it seems to really make a difference when I can sleep for several hours without waking up.  I feel rested afterwards. 

I check back latter.

Jan

2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA

Offline ellies

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #283 on: April 18, 2005, 05:24:55 PM »
Hi Jan,

Just a quick note to say that you are doing brilliantly well !!   ;D  ;D  You are making such good progress.  You are only 2 weeks post operative aren't you, & look how you are coming along.  WELL DONE.  You must be so proud of yourself and so happy with that you can do.  I am impressed.  KEEP IT UP  :D

That's all for now.  I'm concerned about Lisa & Sarah and am anxious to hear their news later.

See you later.
Ellen
1998 scope R knee
2003 scope R knee
2003 scope L knee
2004 scope L knee
2004 ACI L knee
2004 2 x scopes L knee
2005 TKR L knee

Offline Sarahreindeer

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #284 on: April 18, 2005, 06:24:36 PM »
Hi All!  Finally it is beautiful weather here!!  Time for weeding (ugh!)  I am doing better today MUCH less pain.  I am hoping to begin coming off of the pain meds, but also don't want to set myself up to fail.  My holse are closing up really well and the one that was weeping this weekend is closed (and I didn't try to open it).  I have one pinprick hole that is continuing by dots to ooze white, but other than that, nothing.  I still have this bloody cough but atleas I can breathe today. I finally took some sudafed last night.  So glad to hear so many of you are improving!  Sarah

support