Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: twisted knee whilst playing football  (Read 1061 times)

Offline footballfanatic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
twisted knee whilst playing football
« on: January 03, 2005, 04:02:09 PM »
hi,im knew to this. im 28 years old and a keen footballer.2 years ago i damaged my knee ligaments on my right knee,i made a full recovery.however,May 2004 i twisted my left knee.im not sure but it may have locked before twisting,and the noise it produced sounded more like a loud click or crack!! there was hardly any swelling at all.since this occurance i have been to the hospital and to see a physio.both times i have been told to rest and stretch the damaged side.i have done so.i have been told it may be ligament,it may be just muscle wear and tear.it has become strong now,i can lift upto 20/25kg with it.the problem is on the outer side of the left knee.a very very nasty pain has always remained there.after anything i do with side movement,i suffer from extreme pain in the outer left knee for upto 3 days.also, it has given way a few times too.but i find this odd as i can run,sprint,climb up stairs,anything in a straight line! but i cant do anything with side to side movement.so that cancells out all sporting activities!for 6 months i have complied with a strict rebuilding schedule,stretches,exercise,leg weights,hot and cold treatment but the pain has settled and is definately a problem that i cant run off.i have no problems whilst walking or light jogging.will i ever make a full recovery?has anyone experianced anything similar,can someone please please assist and advise?

Offline footballfanatic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: twisted knee whilst playing football
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 02:59:20 PM »
hi

just me again. another thing id like to query is if there is anything available such as cracking the knee. by this i mean something in the same context as cracking a back! would it be advisable? when im sitting on a chair/sofa,i bring my left knee closer towards me,bending the leg,with the right leg remaining stretched.i then ease the left knee,with the help of my hands,to a left and then right motion with results in alot of clicking and cracking.my knee has actually felt relaxed and maybe even better.

but is it advisable,especially with the noise that is being created?

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Boston, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 08:08:48 PM »
*sniff* *sniff* I smell an ACL tear.

Get yourself checked out for a manual exam of your knee. Lachman and Pivot shift tests won't lie.
April 14th, 2004: Floor hockey accident, complete ACL tear (left knee).
June 11th, 2004: ACL reconstruction, patellar tendon autograft.
January 21st, 2005: Cyclops Lesion removal

Offline nicole

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • It's our turn to play
    • Dallas Diamonds Football
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 07:04:28 AM »
Also could be meniscal tear.  I had VERY similar symptoms with my first injury, bucket-handle tear of the medial meniscus.  Although, I believe I had mostly torn my ACL at the same time and the surgeon ignored it.  Otherwise I somehow tore my ACL at some other point, don't remember doing it, and have no instability problems.......

All in all, from what I've read and experienced, that type of instability is a sign of something that won't heal itself. Although you could at some point strengthen your muscles enough to make the symptom instability go away without the underlying injury actually being healed.  This is also, from what I've read, a bad thing; as having something torn inside your knee will continue to deteriorate and possibly damage other parts of your knee if not repaired/resolved.

Offline footballfanatic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 08:42:22 PM »
hi

Many thanks to Gab and Nicole for your kind words of advice. Im off to the hospital this Thursday for another manual assessment. i've already had 2 over the past 6 months carried out by the head of physio within the hospital. Each time i've been told to go home and rest as well as rebuild my leg muscles!! I guess i expect to be told the same again. Having relatively decent amount of strength in the injured leg, its classed as not that bad! But as you can read from above, its definatly quite bad. Maybe a long lay off physical activity may be the best thing.

I've also noticed bruising that is pinpoint located where i have the pain (the outer side of my left knee).

So its definatly possible to have a very good amount of strength and flexibility within my knee even though it may well be pretty badly damaged within?

Should i request a MRI scan or maybe ultra sound treatment? Could it still be damaged muscles, eventhough i have strengthened them to a good level?

i have a feeling i'll be very frustrated after Thursday....HELP!!!

Kind regards :-/

ariel

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 09:19:21 PM »
Should i request a MRI scan or maybe ultra sound treatment?

I personally would mate ( an MRI ) - if you've been through the hospital physio visits, tried to do some strengthening excercises etc for a few months afterwards and you're still exeriencing a symtomtic/problematic knee then it might be handy to have an MRI to get a better idea of the current situation.

Feel free to post back and let us know how it goes on Thursday etc, and good luck.