Author Topic: This is not at all what I expected!  (Read 2077 times)

Offline HockeyAirHead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Ouch, ow, yeeouch!
This is not at all what I expected!
« on: December 10, 2004, 12:39:23 AM »
I had a Medial Meniscectomy done on my left knee last Monday, Nov. 29th.  They also removed a large cyst and informed me that I have arthritis in that knee.

All I heard from others who have had this procedure, from my Orthopedic Surgeon's assistants and PA's etc, was that it would provide immidiate pain relief and I would be "walking out of surgery."  

I had reconstructive surgery on my right ankle on July 6th and am still hobbling and recovering from that.  As a result of limping off my right leg and hopping about when I couldn't be bothered to grab my crutches to move 5 feet, the lingering problems with my left knee became acute problems.

I am a former collegiate hockey player and have had numerous knee, ankle, shoulder injuries etc so I know a bit about recovery from injuries and surgeries. (This was my 9th surgery, I lost track of the injuries years ago.)

So I expected, apparantley unrealistically, to have a miraculous, quick and painless recovery.   OK, maybe not painless, but I didn't expect this level of pain.

I couldn't walk last week, can barely walk this week, and have called for a refill on the Vicodin prescription.  I am icing and elevating my knee all the time.  I am walking a bit, which is better than my ankle recovery where I was NWB for 3 months.  

I am just stunned by the amount of pain and the length of time the pain has lasted.  From what I see on this board, what I had done was not that major.  Any ideas why I am having so much more pain then I expected?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 12:40:48 AM by HockeyAirHead »

Offline Bruser

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: This is not at all what I expected!  Me e
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 01:07:29 PM »
Hi Hockey,

I had a simular surgery also, I had a large Medial cyst removed and 50% of my medial meniscus removed, the doctor had to also release my MCL.

This was over 7 weeks ago and I am really having a hard time also, all I get out of my O.S. is everything went well, I don't no why you are having such a hard time, they are also putting the blame on me now, because of the slow progress and pain and swelling.

I am suppose to have my right knee done for the 4th time in two years but they have postponed it do to the left knee and said I am heading down the road for knee replacements, this has been and continues to be a nightmare for me and I wish I could just wake up.

I am so tired of O.S.s putting the blame on me, I do everything I am told to, but yet here I am.

Some of these O.S.s need to come off of their high horses and admit all patients are not alike we all heal and have pain differently.

My O.S. tells me everytime I see him about his friend and how much worse his knees are but he rides a bike 10 miles everyday, good for him, if I could I would also, and walk in the woods with my children and do all the things I use to, before I was injured at work!

Where did you have your surgery, I am in Tennessee.

Sorry about the long line of complaints.

If you want to email me that is fine, [email protected]

I have had 3 surgeries in 13 months. 3 medial meniscus removals, 2 knee shavings all on the right knee. Left knee surgery10/22/04 50% medial meniscus removed and a medial cyst removed, MCL released. 4th surgery on the right knee, 03/31/05 I am so dissapointed.

Offline HockeyAirHead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Ouch, ow, yeeouch!
Re: This is not at all what I expected!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 12:13:55 AM »
I hear you Bruser.  

I saw my doctor about 2 weeks after the surgery and he might have spent 3 minutes with me.  He totally blew off my concerns and gave me a referral for physical therapy which I started this week.

The FIRST thing my PT said was that I needed to talk to my surgeon about the state of my knee.   Imagine that!

I am still having WAAY more pain than I think I should and my mobility is greatly impaired.

I am especially worried about the fact that the clicking, catching, and popping behind my knee cap has returned and occurs almost all the time when I bend and straighten my knee.   The therapist asked why I was walking so straight legged and I explained the popping and catching and that is when he said that I really needed to talk to my surgeon.  His reaction made me even more concerned.  

I have put in a call to him but so far no response.  

I am in Minnesota, and seeing a doctor who is supposed to be one of the best in the country, and it is very hard to get in to see him, but because he knew me from my hockey career he got me in.  I guess he is just too busy to spend time with his patients.

Good luck with yours, let me know how it is going.

Offline Bruser

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 02:07:49 PM »
Hi Hockey,

Mine was also suppose to be one of the best, but I hear that theirs is one of the best who knows.

Your right! they sure don't spend much time with you after your surgery, mine is the same way, I over heard the secretary talking about how many visits they had on the day I went back, 39 appointments that is rediculous.

It's been 10 weeks for me and I am not doing well at all, I am also looking into reasons ehy I am having such a hard time with my knees, as you are.

I hope your O.S. slows down enough to address your concerns and I hope you make some progress soon, it sounds to me they might have to go back in your knee again, I thought the third times a charm, Boy was I wrong.

You know your body better then anyone, hang in there and I hope you get well soon, keep me informed on your progress.

Merry Christmas,
Rich

I have had 3 surgeries in 13 months. 3 medial meniscus removals, 2 knee shavings all on the right knee. Left knee surgery10/22/04 50% medial meniscus removed and a medial cyst removed, MCL released. 4th surgery on the right knee, 03/31/05 I am so dissapointed.

Offline hr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 09:52:49 PM »
I couldn't help but reply to your post, as this might offer some hope.

I had 70 percent of my medical meniscus removed 5 months ago, and still have some days of swelling and pain, (ok, this in not the encouraging part yet) :)

and for the first 3 1/2 months after surgery (followed directions for recovery to the letter; ice, phyical theraphy, exercises, etc) I could hardly walk or sit without pain and swelling.  I too had popping, clicking pain upon turning, could not go up or down stairs without supporting myself with arms, and thought I would never get better or be pain free. I was thinking about going back into surgery for another opinion.

The OS said it would be 4 - 6 weeks recovery and I was extremely disappointed that it was taking so long. I even got 2 cortisone shots. (3 if you count the one on the bottom of my foot, but that is a whole other story that I will not go into, as it was a complication from this surgery), but now after 5 months, I can say I see a huge improvement.

I am back playing tennis, and can bike ride, and even have some days where I forget about my knee.

So basically, what I am saying is that I had an awful time of recovering, and thought I would never get better. It just took a lot of time, and so if you can keep that in mind, and know that in some cases, it does take 5-6 months before you notice the pain getting less and less, that might help you with the process.

If you know that this is the course and can be normal for some of us, then I think you can relax some and say ok, I just have to wait it out, but it will get better.

70% is a lot to remove, and I do feel like it is getting better each day, so hang in there.

Advertisement