Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: knee cap replacement surgery  (Read 39035 times)

Offline tsanford07

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
knee cap replacement surgery
« on: December 05, 2004, 04:07:59 AM »
just want to know if anyone has had knee cap replacement or their knee caps removed?  Would like to know details and whats life like after.  Any information would help.

Tara

Offline Mr.F

• Forum Faithful
Re: knee cap replacement surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 03:37:39 PM »
I just had patello-femoral replacement.  (Knee cap was cut, reshaped, and a new under side was placed on the patella).  I am 4 weeks post-op and doing great.  All my pain and suffering, prior to the surgery, is gone.  (Oh, I had this done to both knees at the same time).

I had the option of knee replacement (this included the patella) or have the patella surgically removed.  If you remove the knee cap you severally limit your mobility, range, and quality of life.  Think of the physics behind moving the knee.  If you remove the cap what is left?  How will the knee area and leg move?  Look at the bones in the leg and knee, see how they work together to let the leg bend/move.  What will happen if you remove the patella?

All surgical procedures should be carefully considered, researched, and discussed with your doctor (and/or family/friends).  Do not rush into anything.  Do not let the doctor or somebody else decide for you.  You need to feel comfortable with your decision (you have to live with it).

Good luck...If there is anythig else I can tell you about let me know.

Offline dmoisuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:27:06 AM »
I have been without a knee cap for over 40 years. Damaged it in a motor cycle accident in 1966. I have no day to day pain but have slipped and fallen on ice many time and damaged cartilage etc. Usually takes 3 or 4 months of rehab.

The worst thing now at age 67 is going down stairs or down hill. No strength and can not seem to build strength even with rehab. I would really love to kike in the mountains.

This is the first I have heard of knee cap replacement. I was always told my orthopedic surgeons that there was no such thing. I wonder if after this length of time if I can get an artificial one???

Thanks so much for this site! Are there any others?  :)

Cheers from Canada Eh!

Offline tsanford07

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:19:26 PM »
There may noy not have patella replacement back then but there is now. Here's a video of one done at Tufts Medical Center http://www.or-live.com/Tuftsmedicalcenter/2167/. Check it out

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:59:32 PM »
I just recently had a PFJR done.  I am quite happy, no more stabby bone pain, no more rice krispies when I walk.

I do know you can go without a kneecap, my dad did after breaking his in half many years ago.  It does limit the way the extensor mechanism works and strengh becomes an issue.  Sometimes it may be the only answer.  I think it should be the answer of last resort though.  That is nothing else is going to help the pain or issue.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0;topicseen - here is my thread if you want to take a look

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline KneeHelpSeeker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
Hello,

I am new to Knee guru and was particularly drawn to this thread by the posting by dmoisuk. My father's situation is almost identical (motorcyle accident in 1964, knee cap removed, leg functioned okay with minor problems until a few years ago but has now started becoming quite problematic when ascending/descending stairs etc). He is also considering surgery. Because he does not use the Internet, I am checking up on background information I can find for him.

I would particularly be interested in knowing if you (dmoisuk) were able to find a contemporary procedure that met your needs, whether you tried surgery, and any experiences/advice you could share.

Thanks so much for sharing information - I await a reply from you or someone else has information for this type of situation!

I am continuing to search the other discussions and apologize in case the information is already there in another thread. The system does not list any recent posts from "dmoisuk" - which is why I'm responding to this older thread.

-Gary

jtcarlto

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:30:20 AM »
I know they do patella allografts, which is were they take a young persons knee-cap (who has died) and put where yours was.  The alternative sounds like the PFJR where the replace the trochlea and patella.