Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: What the Heck is "extensive" surgery??!!  (Read 636 times)

Offline sjugradgirl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • My KneePhoto Diary
What the Heck is "extensive" surgery??!!
« on: December 03, 2004, 03:38:34 AM »
I went to the OS for my visit.  He wants me to work on rehab for another 4-6 weeks before we do "extensive" surgery ( as he runs his finger along my Patellar Tendon Scar.  
what the BEANS is that supposed to mean?! Can anyone give me an idea of what "extensive" surgery might me? Just your thoughts or idea.
95-Reallignment,
99-patellar tendon repair  LR,04-arthroscopy,chondroplasty,meniscal repair
preparing for arthroscopy, TTT, scar clean up, soft tissue repair Jan 24

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
Re: What the Heck is "extensive" surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 07:37:43 PM »
My OS calls anything that is not done through keyhole surgery 'extensive'. Each OS probably differs as with everything else :)

All surgery is traumatic and not to be taken into lightly, however, open procedures and knee issues which take a long time on the OR table to repair would be extensive. (I really could have worded this better!)

According to my surgeons, the two quad tendon repairs and my TTT for patella baja, both were considered 'extensive'.

My scopes, LR's, and VMO advancement were not.

If in question, by all means, ask your OS for clarification. Going into surgery without having a full understanding of your OS's intentions can be trouble. I'm proof of that.

Hope that helps some,

Heather B.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 07:38:33 PM by Heather »
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline RGrelsamer, MD

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Ronald P. Grelsamer, MD
Re: What the Heck is "extensive" surgery
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 10:42:49 PM »
That would be in the eye of the beholder.
For the surgeon it's "take a deep breath" type of surgery...
R Grelsamer MD
 www.KneeHipPain.com

Due to time and legal restrictions Dr. Grelsamer can respond just once to queries on the Bulletin Board. Thank you for your understanding.