Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Synvisc reaction & recovery  (Read 10187 times)

Offline taxgoddess333

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Synvisc reaction & recovery
« on: November 29, 2004, 01:45:11 AM »
Hi all,
Just wanted to post a positive note.....three days of extreme swelling, agonizing pain and complete loss of ROM from the 3rd synvisc injection, then on the fourth day, relief!  Today, a little more than a week later, it's like the reaction never happened.  I haven't noticed any marked improvement from the synvisc, but it's early days yet and I'm still optimistic.  So it you're unlucky enough to have a reaction, definitely call your doc, but don't panic!  Hope y'all had a great Turkey day - R -
ACL reconstruction 18 years ago, re-injury 3 years ago, OS calls it a trainwreck

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Synvisc reaction & recovery
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 03:52:07 PM »
That's great!  Keep us posted about your progress.  It certainly has mixed results, but lots of foks get excellent results.
Nancy.

Offline taxgoddess333

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 07:43:05 PM »
Hi Nancy,
Thanks once again for the words of encouragement.  Aren't you scheduled for TKR soon?  If so, all my good thoughts headed your way for a full and speedy recovery!  I'll be going that route sometime after April 15 (can't interfere with tax season!), and I'm scared to death.  It seems I read an awful lot of bad experiences here, and not enough good ones.  What's up with that, I wonder?
Take care and stay strong   -R-
ACL reconstruction 18 years ago, re-injury 3 years ago, OS calls it a trainwreck

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 02:31:12 AM »
My TKR is scheduled for December 7th!  It was originally scheduled for November 22nd, but was delayed due to a bladder infection.  I was getting a little nervous a few days before the original date, but all that worry is gone now and I'm just grateful that it will soon be over!  I'm sure some fears will sneak back in over the next week, but I have a new perspective now.  There certainly are a lot of scary stories, but people that breeze through it are probably less likely to use this website.  I'll be back in a couple of weeks with a great success story, OK?  I'm guessing you do taxes!!
Nancy.

Offline BullDancer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 10:52:54 PM »
 :) Hey all.  I'm a synvisc veteran....I thought.  I had my first series of synvisc injections (one a week for 3 weeks) in both knees in the fall of 2003.  Injections themselves were horribly painful, but I had no reactions, and within days the grinding pain I have been living with for years was gone!  This effect lasted 9-10 months, and I held out in getting repeat injections until a full year had passed.  This time, my experience was different.  The first injection in my right knee was so very painful I thought I'd pass out.  I couldn't allow the doc to do the left knee, so we decided to do each knee separately in different 3 week series.  After the 2nd injection in my right knee I flew cross country.  I experienced gross swelling and pain, but after a day or two it went down.  The stiffness and limited ROM remained, and worsened some after 3rd shot.  After almost a month, my leg was better, though still felt stiff, and weak, especially the quadriceps.  Then I went in for the left leg injections.  I've had gross swelling and pain in my left knee joint and can barely walk due to the limited range of motion.  I certainly can't stand for long.  Anyway, I asked my doctor about it, and he also said that this reaction was rare.  I guess I'm just "special".  I guess this means that I will no longer be able to tolerate the synvisc treatments in the future.  I sure hope the swelling goes down and gets better.   I'm in my mid 40s, and have been trying to hold off on getting tkr for at least a decade.  Has anyone heard of heart problems or any other serious side effects from synvisc?

Offline froggy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 10:18:40 PM »
Hi,

How are you doing ?  I had my TKR on Nov 16 and I am
doing fine I think.   I do not use crutches and can walk small distances.  I feel quite tired and can get bad back pain as well as hip pain.   I cannot really straighten my leg unless the PT helps me.  I would love to hear from you and your progress?

cheers
Froggy

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 01:36:36 AM »
Hi,  Froggy!
I had my TKR on December 7th.  I am using crutches or a walker with wheels now.  My knee is getting stronger every day and walking is getting quite comfortable.  My hips are very sore, though.  The hip on my operated leg has been extremely sore since surgery and the other one has been sore for the past few days since I have been more active.  I do tend to have problems with my hips, but this is ridiculous.  How is your flexion doing?  My flex is at 85 with help and my extension is about -3 or so.
Nancy.

Offline pbards

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 05:18:36 PM »
I'd like to reply as a veteran synvisc user.  I've had my left knee injected 6 times over the last 8 years.  The stuff is wonderful, although I've had that "rare flare-up" some are talking about.  After the second injection, my knee the next day is basketball size.  I use a knee imbolizer and crutches for 24-36 hours after.  Than I start rehabing it.  By the time for the next injection, the swellings down.  The third one is never as bad as the 2nd.  By 2 weeks after the last injection I'm ready to go and I mean go.  I can do anything and have had excellent pain relief for over a year.  I still ski, thanks to Synvisc.  I continue to be extremly active and could jog if I was dumb enough to try it.  I'm bone on bone and will at some point need TKR.  I'm in my lat 40's and want to put it off for as long as possible.  Would love to hear more about the growth factors or anything else that will put off the TKR.  Any help I can be to anyone regarding Synvisc just ask. :)

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 08:14:55 PM »
I just had my first Synvisc injection - feels fine right now. Is that because the local hasn't worn off? Then - things'll get sore for a day or so before improving - is that right?

My doc says that I have a 30 - 40% chance of improving from Synvisc (up to 3 injections) - this based on my previous treatment. If it doesn't work, then I'll be looking at some kind of knee replacement (I'm bone on bone in a fairly substantial area - medial condyle, I think he said). I'm nervous about this - doesn't seem like the odds are in my favor - but if I am one of those for whom it works, that's what matters! I'm early 40s and very active...

Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline dadsgirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 03:03:23 AM »
Hello!
     I just had my first Synvisc injection yesterday.  I didn't get a local, or atleast I think I didn't!  There were 2 syringes, but it wasn't horribly painful.  Cortisone shots do nothing for me.  I get my second shot next week.........when does it make your knee feel better?  The OS said these are just to buy me time till I get a knee replacement.  I've already had 3 surgeries on my left knee and I still walk funny (miss high heels!!) and have major pain when standing up after sitting for an hour or so!  Can someone explain when the pain relief starts??  Healthy Joints to U All, Claudia
arthroscopy.May 2004,microfracture left knee, Aug 2004, debridement and menisectomy Dec 2005  New OS March 2005 !!!

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 03:12:54 AM »
I had my SYNVISC injections in my bad knee 8 years ago and they helped greatly but I can't remember anything about reactions so I wanted to ask a few questions.

Today I just had my 1st SYNVISC injection in my other knee and other then a little pain it isn't bad. I was wondering for the people who had bad reactions for the 2nd and /or 3rd injection..how was the 1st injection????? I am thinking that when I had it done so many years ago I had a bad reaction after the 2nd injection and maybe the 3rd but it has been so long ago I cant remember.....I was just wondering how you all were after the 1st injection compared to the 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks so much!!!!  I just want to know what to anticipate!!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline Moja

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 12:36:36 PM »
Hello all, and thank you for having a Kneegeeks Board.....I just said to my husband..".there is a hip replacement board there must be a knee board".

Anyways, my problem.  I have two very rotten knees, hockey injury.  My left knee is worse, bone on bone.  Last year I went through the treatment regime on both knees and they did help.  I was quite surprised that people had pain during the injection...I had no pain and my doctor said if it's done right, it shouldn't hurt.  So with three different trips for injections on two knees, basically no problems.   The day after my injection I had a fair amount of pain in my right knee but after that day it was great.

Two days ago I went in for my first injection.  Yesterday morning I woke up with swollen knee, unable to walk and bend my knee and a lot of pain.  It did not improve during the day and last night I put my knee imobliizor on so that I can walk with less pain.  Do I need to contact my doc or will it get better within a few days...I'm heading off to Vancouver in three days with my husband as  he is getting a Birmingham hip...and we really don't need this right now.  hee hee.  I have iced it but have many things to do to get ready and we have two small children....any advice would be appreciated as it seems to be getting worse.  ??? :-[

Offline estherh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 11:14:54 PM »
Not sure if this is common - and wondering if anyone has a similar experience... I had my first synvisc injections in both knees yesterday afternoon - which should last me six months.  The injections hurt a bit, but not that much.  Afterwards, I was unable to stand - even after applying ice to both knees.  While attempting to stand, it felt as if I had been injected with cement.  Both legs hurt and felt numb.  I had to use a wheelchair to get to my car.  Driving home was okay - but I had to call a friend to help me get from my garage into my apartment.  I've been icing my knees ever since. I've been able to hobble around since the middle of the night with out worrying too much of losing my balance and falling.  As a precaution, I've been walking along the wall.  Any comments?

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 11:21:05 PM »
I would contact your doctor and ask their advice asap if the symptoms continue.  At the least, they should be reporting what they deem an adverse reaction to the regulatory authorities / manufacturers

I had 3 x Ostenil injections (similar) earlier this year , bit sore and stiff and full feeling after but nothing disabling.

Hope it all feels better tomorrow

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
Partial meniscectomy, mfx not needed - smooth scar tissue over OC lesion, shaving of grade III defect lateral aspect of patella
2nd scope on 16/12/10, chondroplasty & Durolane jab
New MRI shows lat meniscus tear & other stuff
Ostenil plus jab

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »
I had 3 shots, 1 week apart recently. It hurt during the shot until the needle came out, but I didn't get any bad reaction. No inflammation, nothing... I was surprised it was so easy after reading many bad reaction issues...

support