Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Synvisc Vs. Supartz  (Read 13049 times)

Offline Alicia72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Synvisc Vs. Supartz
« on: November 04, 2004, 06:53:04 PM »
I have been having synvisc injections for two years, every six months and they are painful as hell for the duration of the shots but they keep me moving pain free for six months.  During the three week process I cannot weight bear at all.  Then after my third injection I magically can move again.  

Has anyone tried both synvisc and Supartz?  I guess it is similar to synvisc but lasts a year and you have five injections instead of three.  

Offline KathyJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Synvisc Vs. Supartz
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 07:54:14 PM »
I haven't tried the Synvisc but I have tried Supartz. I have had 3 series of injections over the past 2.5 years. For me a series lasts about 6-9 months. I have no problem with the injections themselves and start feeling the effects about shot 3. They work well for me and I will probably start my 4th series soon.

Offline Alicia72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 03:45:25 AM »
Thank you so much for letting me know your experience.  What was your knee injury?  I had a tibial plateau fracture in 15 places and had an external fixator for 14 weeks.  I  basically have no knee.  I am awaiting a knee replacement.  So, I want to see if you have a working knee or not.  Because if you have no knee and the Supartz is working that would be a nice thing to know. Because that would lead me to believe that my synvisc is working well and that Supartz is just the same given the circumstances.

Let me know what you think on your experience.

Thanks-
Alicia  ::)

Offline Quill

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • not the bee's knees
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 08:46:34 PM »
Alicia

I've had both Synvisc and Halygan. Halygan (rooster juice) is 5 shots. I haven't heard of Supartz. My OS says Halygan is the next step up from Synvisc and it is not absorbed as quickly so it lasts longer. I had my last Halygan shots about 10 days ago and I am starting to see a little improvement. I'm hoping for more!

Good luck all with your shots. Let's buy time before surgery! :-\

Nancy
OA both knees, confined to patella. Arthroscopy 1998, cortisone both knees,  Halygan shots both knees. Had PFR 3/28/05. Recovery on schedule according to OS but lots of pain radiating up thigh and to lower back.

Offline speer03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 05:11:23 AM »
Hello all....

The main difference in Synvisc vs Supartz is that Synvisc is 20% synthetic.  It adds to the molecular weight of the drug, however it has a side effect of severe pseudosepsis - basically painful inflamation of the knee.  It is extremely painful and occurs in around 5% of the population in the first series, and then it jumps to 24.6% in the second series. This is widely known and is why they have been losing market share for 5 straight years.  This is also documented in about 12-13 articles in bigtime medical journals, as well as in their own literature.  The next time you get an injection ask to see the paperwork in the box, it's printed right there.

Supartz is the purest form of hyalurona available today with the mst active ingredient.  It is also about half price and in over 155million injections there has never been one reported / documented case of severe pseudosepsis.

Just a little FYI.

support