Sports Therapy is an aspect of healthcare that is specifically concerned with the prevention of injury and the rehabilitation of the patient back to optimum levels of functional, occupational and sports specific fitness, regardless of age and ability.
A Sports Therapist is a practitioner who -
- has the knowledge and ability to provide first aid and attend to injuries in a recreational, training and competitive environment.
- has the knowledge and ability to assess and, where appropriate, refer on for specialist advice and intervention.
- has the knowledge and ability to provide sports massage pre and post activity.
- has the knowledge and ability to implement appropriate rehabilitation programmes.
- has the knowledge to utilise sports and exercise principles to optimise preparation and injury prevention programmes.