When you have a knee injury, or after surgery, the PRICE or RICE regime is good to remember. This stands for:
- P = Protection - Clean and protect the wound. Splint it if there is any suspected bone break or the joint feels wobbly.
- R = Rest - Rest the joint
- I = Ice - Ice the joint to decrease swelling and inflammation (cryotherapy).
- C = Compression - Use a compression bandage (but be careful not to put it so tight it upsets the blood flow.
- E = Elevation - Put the leg up on a chair or the sofa or bed. This helps to minimise swelling.